DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2023

RIPPA

I think EEAOO getting 11 nominations fucking rules.  I think it should win best picture, but I think either Banshees of Inisherin or The Fablemans is gonna win.

With any luck Ke Huy Quan pulls the upset in Supporting Actor, though Brendan Gleeson was fucking amazing in Banshees.  And somehow Barry Keoghan is even better. As was Brian Tyree Henry!  An absolute murderers row of performances.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think EEAOO getting 11 nominations fucking rules.  I think it should win best picture, but I think either Banshees of Inisherin or The Fablemans is gonna win.

With any luck Ke Huy Quan pulls the upset in Supporting Actor, though Brendan Gleeson was fucking amazing in Banshees.  And somehow Barry Keoghan is even better. As was Brian Tyree Henry!  An absolute murderers row of performances.

Wanted to see EEAOO for a while now. Looking forward to getting round to it. Think it's between that and The Fablemans for Best Picture with it going to the latter. The Academy Awards love Steven Spielberg.

Decision to Leave not making International at all is surprising, but it losing at the Globes and the Critics choice probably didn't signal good things. 

I'd predicted RRR in Picture rather than Women Talking, which I'd suspected had fallen out of the field. 9/10 ain't bad though.

As much as I liked Fabelmans, Brian Tyree Henry getting in over Paul Dano fucking rules. Dano probably should have gotten in over Hirsch, but who cares. Ke Huy Quan has this pretty much wrapped up.

Amanda Dobbins of The Big Picture pod has a fun theory that the preferential balloting will lead to Tar squeaking through on a plurality of voters going high on it. Not sure I agree, but EEAAO seems somewhat divisive despite being one of the two frontrunners. If I had a ballot, some of y'all would shoot me if you saw where I ranked it... Regardless, the race is seemingly still Banshees vs EEAAO with maybe a Tar upset? Everyone who's scared The Fabelmans doesn't need to be, and it'd be nice if more of them watched The Fabelmans. 

Ana de Armas plowing ahead with Blonde with everything I've heard about the movie feels surprising until I remember I haven't encountered a single positive take about The Whale. Whatever, it's not like Cate's losing. 

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Upset? He's the frontrunner. 

He definitely fits the "elder statesmen who's never won anything" mold that Supporting Actor usually gets ... but so does Brendan Gleeson.  

Both are really, really deserving... I just don't trust the Academy.  

4 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He definitely fits the "elder statesmen who's never won anything" mold that Supporting Actor usually gets ... but so does Brendan Gleeson.  

Both are really, really deserving... I just don't trust the Academy.  

Fair, but Supporting Actor and Lead Actress especially have seemed pretty locked in for a while now. The other two acting categories are seemingly the races. 

As much as one shouldn't trust the Academy, the only way they could really fuck up Supporting Actor at this point is giving it to Hirsch. And since that's definitely not happening, we're left with some good choices. 

I get why Hirsch was nominated. He has one scene, but it's a BIG scene.

Man, I loved Fablemans (I have a hard time not typing "Fabelmen"). The trailers made it look like, "Young boy learns the power of cinema!" And, while that was part of it, it's a little messier than I think most people would expect.

And goddamn:

Spoiler

That final shot! I lost my mind when that happened.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Log said:

The trailers made it look like, "Young boy learns the power of cinema!" And, while that was part of it, it's a little messier than I think most people would expect.

Marketing fucked it up so bad.

Them: "Looks like masturbatory twaddle about the magic of the movies and how great Steve thinks he is!"

Me: "I don't know, about 3/4ths of the way through they just drop in a psychosexual comedy with a whole lot of Jesus." 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Them: "Looks like masturbatory twaddle about the magic of the movies and how great Steve thinks he is!"

Me: "I don't know, about 3/4ths of the way through they just drop in a psychosexual comedy with a whole lot of Jesus." 

Watched tonight and fucking loved it. Was a little unsure during the first 20 minutes or so (it was cool to see some of The Greastest Show on Earth, which I've never watched), but it really picks up after that and balances out the schmaltz with some really devastating stuff.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That's the impression I got.

https://twitter.com/MichaelWarbur17/status/1617945473939300353?t=-FWRRIlKd_ImVckRzKTgHA&s=19

He spent 7yrs in foster care, in 13 different foster homes. 

He got his first acting job answering an ad he saw in a shop window. 

He was given nothing, was meant to achieve nothing. 

Today - aged 30 - BARRY KEOGHAN was nominated for an Oscar.

38 minutes ago, AxB said:

Why is Glass Onion an Adapted, rather than Original Screenplay? What's it based on?

I'm guessing because it's a continuation of the Benoit blanc story. I think the academy considers existing IP even original to be adapted. 

Red Letter Media briefly covered Fabelmans on their 2022 catch-up part 2 video. I had to laugh at there being a literal record scratch moment in the movie.

I think Fabelmans probably wins best picture because the Academy sure does love masturbatory movies about making movies. I don't see EEAAO winning it. I think Triangle of Sadness for as weird and fucked up as that movie looks would win before EEAAO does. That's not to say anything about the quality of the movie, but it just doesn't feel like it would win.

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I think Banshees is too depressing to win Best Picture. Even if Gleeson wins Best Actor. 

I can definitely see it getting the actor wins, but I agree that it's an odd choice for Best Picture. Weirdly, though, I hear it thrown out a lot as a possible winner.

I can kind of see EEAAO sneaking a Best Pic win just on a lot of voters thinking they're clever for picking it.

Meanwhile the Razzies stepped in it... again

This year they nominated 12-year-old Ryan Kiera Armstrong for Worst Actress for her performance in Firestarter (it should be noted that Zac Efron who played her Dad was not nominated)

So after blowback - the Razzies announced that they removed Armstrong from the ballot and now have instituted an age limit of 18 years old