DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Dynamite - 9/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Danielson-Moxley was even better on second view. And that Darby promo! Awesome! 

6 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

Elite propaganda machine?  I see no one actively wanting the Bucks back?  Personally, the only one out of the 4 I want back is Omega, has nothing to do with a propaganda machine, it's the bed that Punk made.

I find it hard to actively clamour for anybody with the excellent depth of the AEW roster. That said, count me in as somebody who would love to see the Bucks back ASAP. I find great value in the Bucks consistent ability to have fanfuckingtastic matches. I never wanna know what it's like to watch Nick Jackson tear it up and then want to complain or pretend he isn't an incredle performer. I feel the same about the maestro Omega.

And I'd be happy to see 'Phil' too. Not so much Ace. I'd have to bet there aren't too many ppl actively wanting Ace back.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Danielson-Moxley was even better on second view. And that Darby promo! Awesome! 

I find it hard to actively clamour for anybody with the excellent depth of the AEW roster. That said, count me in as somebody who would love to see the Bucks back ASAP. I find great value in the Bucks consistent ability to have fanfuckingtastic matches. I never wanna know what it's like to watch Nick Jackson tear it up and then want to complain or pretend he isn't an incredle performer. I feel the same about the maestro Omega.

And I'd be happy to see 'Phil' too. Not so much Ace. I'd have to bet there aren't too many ppl actively wanting Ace back.

You know, you're 100% right that the Bucks have awesome matches.  I'd easily put their cage match with Lucha Bros and the Tag match against Omega/Hangman in my top 20 AEW matches of all time, but for some reason, i don't actively "seek" their matches out.  It might be my personal taste/bias showing.

I do wholeheartedly agree with you that while I would love to see Omega back ASAP, im not exactly hurting if he doesn't come back anytime soon.  The depth of this roster, once a maligned and mocked aspect of AEW, is now showing how big of a strength it and I'm loving it.

They've lost Black, Omega, Bucks, Punk in short order and haven't missed a beat and matter of fact, i think they shows seem more focused and less disjointed.

• Like 3

Caught the rest of the show.  

This show was great.  Great crowd.  Matches that were great for a multitude of reasons.  Sticking the landing in a chaotic atmosphere where being able to rely on your assets isn’t always possible.  I love this shit.  Unironically. This isn’t news.

I’m tickled by the Darby promo.  Because the idea of shooting video while running around the city with a body bag is so Brandon Bones circa 92. 

I got some feels for Saraya.  That crowd reaction had to be very validating for her.  

MJF was a problem for me this episode.  Dude… be a piece of shit but don’t bury the best match you’ve ever sat in front of.  Really.

Anyone remember that scene in Braveheart when they killed Bravehearts hot wife?  Just casually cut her throat.  I immediately jumped off the couch like: “Let’s go kill these motherfuckers”.

Remember when SUWA in (I think) 05 TORE THE SCROLL right before his Junior Heavyweight title shot vs. KENTA?  Joe Higuchi went the fuck off and so did I!!!

That’s how I got when MJF put his hands on Tony Schiavone.  That’s got heat with me brother.  

Meanwhile count me in on the “if Punk doesn’t come back… so fucking what” train.  I spent 7 years hoping the guy would get back in a ring just like a lot of people.  But I feel like I saw it now.  Not sure I really want much more of THAT bullshit at the end.  No sir.  I don’t like it.  The comeback wasn’t bad.  In fact it was pretty great.  

Moving on made easy at Grand Slam.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Craig H said:

I do not want Punk to be gone.

Me neither, but I still think it was a mistake to put the title on him, at least as soon as he did. I know as far as the injuries they were like freak accidents but regardless. Hangman should have headlined a few more PPVs as champ. I'm obviously happy for Mox, he's like the Bret Hart of AEW, you can't go wrong with him as Champion and even if he isn't your first choice , he goes out and reminds you why he should've been. 

Saraya has that presence that not the other Women have in AEW except Jade. Even if you never seen he before, you can tell she's a big deal. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, L_W_P said:

With Strickland now a heel it's gonna be awesome hearing the crowd troll his entrance theme.

"Who's house?"

SARAYA'S HOUSE!!

Hasn't he always been a heel though? I mean he came in as a face and people cheer him, but character-wise he's always been a dick to people... he's just on the same page with Lee in-ring.

• Like 3

Meltzer:

Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs Chris Jericho (ROH World Championship): ****

Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee (c) vs The Acclaimed (AEW Tag Team Championships): ***.75

PAC (c) vs Orange Cassidy (All-Atlantic Championship): ***.25

Toni Storm (c) vs Britt Baker vs Athena vs Serena Deeb (AEW Womens Championship): ***.5

Jon Moxley vs Bryan Danielson (Vacant AEW World Championship): ****.5

---

I'd go:

Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs Chris Jericho (ROH World Championship): ****

Swerve Strickland & Keith Lee (c) vs The Acclaimed (AEW Tag Team Championships): ***.75

PAC (c) vs Orange Cassidy (All-Atlantic Championship): ***.14

Toni Storm (c) vs Britt Baker vs Athena vs Serena Deeb (AEW Womens Championship): ***.14

Jon Moxley vs Bryan Danielson (Vacant AEW World Championship): ****.

I gave Swerve in our Glory vs. The Acclaimed at AEW All Out 2022 ****.5 and Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson from AEW Revolution 2022 ****.75. Much better than the rematches at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2022.

I gave Bryan Danielson vs. Adam Page and Bryan Danielson vs. Chris Jericho from the same tournament ****.5

Edited by The Natural

Just a small note on the commentary team tonight: the way Taz and Excalibur showed genuine concern for Schiavone, asking was he ok and did he need attention in a very low key way really added to the impact of the moment. Avoiding hyperbolic, "that diabolical MJF" type diatribes in favour of checking up on your beloved colleague is so much more resonant. Excalibur and Taz feel like real people on commentary and that adds so much to the presentation. 

• Like 12

On 9/22/2022 at 4:55 PM, Phantom Lord said:

I'm surprised if it was only 12,000 fans. It seemed like more. But there were huge sections of the nosebleeds that were empty.

I noticed they were clearly doing the “we are only showing two sides of the stadium” throughout the whole night like they do in the smaller attended shows. But what we could see and especially hear was great. Must’ve been a ton of fun. 

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

I noticed they were clearly doing the “we are only showing two sides of the stadium” throughout the whole night like they do in the smaller attended shows. But what we could see and especially hear was great. Must’ve been a ton of fun. 

I was worried the 200's across from the hard cam were gonna look barren for TV, but they filled in after the dark matches. But as is the case with most money markets, those were the last people in and the first people out. The nosebleeds were definitely compromised compared to last year.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 6:52 AM, The Natural said:

FdQyKUMXgAIwCbG?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also, 3-time (at least) WCW World Cruiserweight Champion, WCW World Television Champion and I think there was a very brief WWF Harcore championship reign in '01-ish in there somewhere, too! And ECW TV champ! Man, he's been good at wrestling!

• Like 2