DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Dynamite - 9/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

The Acclaimed really have caught the moment. They went really viral for Max’s student debt reference a few weeks ago. He sees a formula with a sly political reference since he mentioned Cuomo last night. I am surprised that we have not seen some Proud Boys protest the Scissor Me Daddy Ass stuff since it’s the wrestling equivalent of a Drag Queen Story Hour. They have a great combination of being edgy and funny and cool but also tapping into a progressive point of view without overdoing it. 

Them also being huge homegrown stars who have become really friggin’ good also helps a lot. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

man, I was looking at that weird layout last night and thinking how bad it must be in those seats.

I'll put up some actual good ones later (if anyone cares) but heres a pic of the view from our original seats. Look, I'm not generally one to complain IRL (I've only ever sent back a single meal in my life, a steak and eggs at Cracker Barrel that I asked for medium-rare, but was still mooing at me). That said, I think most people can agree this is a bit absurd:

https://i.postimg.cc/R9NtGV8F/IMG-20220921-183210570.jpg

(Having a little trouble embedding the image on mobile, I hope this link works, I googled a random imgur alternative)

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

8 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'll put up some actual good ones later (if anyone cares) but heres a pic of the view from our original seats. Look, I'm not generally one to complain IRL (I've only ever sent back a single meal in my life, a steak and eggs at Cracker Barrel that I asked for medium-rare, but was still mooing at me). That said, I think most people can agree this is a bit absurd:

https://i.postimg.cc/R9NtGV8F/IMG-20220921-183210570.jpg

(Having a little trouble embedding the image on mobile, I hope this link works, I googled a random imgur alternative)

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

OOOF.  Yeah, that's horrible.

Fuck that's bad, @Zakk_Sabbath. I'm one to rarely complain either, never sent any grub back. You did right to here.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think the Acclaimed momentum is sustainable. I'm sure they'll be over in a few months but not like this. 

Neither do I. I don't see the Acclaimed holding the AEW World Tag Team Championship long. I think it'll be a short reign.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Neither do I. I don't see the Acclaimed holding the AEW World Tag Team Championship long. I think it'll be a short reign.

They don't need a long reign, the coronation of a homegrown team in a big moment is nice. The only thing they need is a strong reign even if short.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

The four time count includes Moxley's WWE title reign. He's now a three time AEW champ. One glance at the bracket shows they've been counting total world titles the last few weeks. Where does he think Jericho found enough to add up to eight?

Only one who needs to get their story straight is Bryan. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

@Zakk_Sabbath: Hopefully the setup changes for AEW Dynamite Grand Slam next year as that's just not on.

Eh, don't feel too bad for us. Most of us got moved to better seats, and in the case of those who weren't, they were allowed to set up shop with folding chairs in the wheelchair rows (which being a tennis stadium, mostly had perfect sight lines to the floor) so honestly, it was a blessing in disguise in the end. I just felt badly I had to get into work mode and be so assertive with the first stadium employee (but trust me, his supervisor was *much* more helpful):

https://files.catbox.moe/bajmd4.mp4

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Speaking of, the way Athena takes bumps (like for the stomp last night) right on her goddamn forehead always terrifies me.

SAME, that scared the shit out of us. I immediately thought of Chuck Austin (I think that's his name- the guy Marty Jannetty rocker dropped and he ended up paralyzed and suing and all that)

• Like 2

Part of me still wishes I went to the show as if not for vacation I'd immediately buy tickets despite not knowing in advance what'll be announced.  But from what I saw from those here who went I feel okay with skipping this year.  Last year ended up being a one-match show with Kenny/Danielson and y'all saw what that meant to me.  This show honestly didn't have that type of match but still would have been something fun to see live.  But sunburn aside Key West is fun though the TV at the hotel has horrible sound.

Despite that I could still hear the crowd go nuts for key moments in the show and I'll end up watching this again when I get home.  The one thing I wish I was there live for was the main so I could see just the wrestling without the constant cuts to MJF.  Hope they learn their lesson on that one.  Also, while it would meant the world for the likes of me and @The NaturalDanielson really doesn't need the belt.  He's been getting titles for his long career and from what I've seen is much more interested in setting up guys like Garcia to take his place.  I would be happy if Bryan won it but even if not that's fine too.  Heck, he could maybe take the ROH title from Jericho and have a fun run once TV starts up.

The rest of the show was fun and for once I don't hate that I got spoiled on a couple things from Rampage.  It sounds like there's a better sense of balance with crowd excitement so this way they're not drained due to one magical match like last year.  They'll still of course get tired but at least it would be due this time to long tapings which are more understandable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was a fun show that seemed to hit on all of the right moments, but agree that there were way too many cuts to MJF during the main event. My one big thought on the show is tonight confirmed both why The Acclaimed were not slated to win at All Out (and possibly not at all initially in the near future), but also why they had to win it tonight. AEW is great about listening to its fans, and you could not deny that really wanted The Acclaimed to win the big one. However, they are still a bit raw (at least to AEW's high level), and will need some quality heel teams to carry the way (a heel FTR would work wonders with them).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

I do not want Punk to be gone.

If I thought there was a chance he could be professional and not start shit I would love to see him back as a heel. But that ain't gonna happen. Dude needs therapy.

I'm actually reminded of a conversation I had back in my wrestling days. A worker backstage was talking about Punk (he was friends with him, I'm not gonna name names but it wasn't Cabana) and mentioned how miserable he was in WWE. I was surprised because he was getting a decent push at the time (don't remember exactly when, but it was probably either around the time he was ECW champ or first Money in the Bank win). I said "He's not happy?" and the dude basically told me Punk is incapable of being happy.

Punk's probably my #3 all-time behind Danielson and Foley. His ROH run is what got me back into indy wrestling, and his work with MJF earlier this year was masterful, the best feud I've seen in my 25ish years of being a wrestling fan. But mother fucker is toxic.

Edited by hobo joe
the best feud.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JLowe said:

MJF's aura is totally manufactured and protected, Acclaimed is authentic and earned through hard work and crowd response. And now MJF is losing the one interesting thing he had going, being the classic cowardly heel who lived the character and wasn't trying to be cool.

TBF, he was kind of burning the candle at both ends last night because he was on (not in) Long Island, in front of a crowd that loved him to death because he's from nearby. Not like UBS Arena, where he IS the local boy done good and acts accordingly, but close enough that he could fudge things a bit. Once they get out of the Tri-State he will undoubtedly course-correct.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hobo joe said:

If I thought there was a chance he could be professional and not start shit I would love to see him back as a heel. But that ain't gonna happen. Dude needs therapy.

I'm actually reminded of a conversation I had back in my wrestling days. A worker backstage was talking about Punk (he was friends with him, I'm not gonna name names but it wasn't Cabana) and mentioned how miserable he was in WWE. I was surprised because he was getting a decent push at the time (don't remember exactly when, but it was probably either around the time he was ECW champ or first Money in the Bank win). I said "He's not happy?" and the dude basically told me Punk is incapable of being happy.

Punk's probably my #3 all-time behind Danielson and Foley. His ROH run is what got me back into indy wrestling, and his work with MJF earlier this year was masterful, the best feud I've seen in my 25ish years of being a wrestling fan. But mother fucker is toxic.

I kind of wonder if CM Punk sort of likes to create misery and chaos because that's what he thinks fuels himself and drives him to be cool, edgy Punk. Like happy go lucky CM Punk doesn't get ratings or sell tickets, but CM Punk doing worked shooty comments and blurring lines gets people talking.

Case in point, when Sports Illustrated asked him about the Hangman Page stuff, Punk's answer was this wishy washy "I'm trying to sell tickets and make you want to see what happens next."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

FWIW the "Punk is gone" thing appears to be Keller speculating and not something he's actually reported out.

A lot of people take the Khan refusing to acknowledge thing as a sign and not just Khan having years of experience fielding similar questions an NFL team executive and also a English Football executive.

The only one that is purely candid on that kind of stuff is Jerry Jones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Dragon said:

Around 12,412 fans. 

Whoa, that's a pretty big drop. I know interest at this time last year was much higher with the various debuts, but that's almost halved. I did notice the upper decks were much more bare than last year, and that lines were moving much more quickly across the board, so I guess that tracks. I wonder if a lot of the crowd that came down from upstate NY and CT last year stayed home because they just had or are getting multiple dates soon (On the flip side of the coin, we met a guy who came from Germany for it). Another interesting thing is that I noticed way, way less kids than last time, so maybe parents/kids were staying home this year too. The Punk bullshit was also way too recent to have affected sales. I wonder if it's maybe just a combination of the show cooling off a little and people just being broke as hell right now. I mean, think about it, half the people showed up but it drew a higher gate than last year...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Whoa, that's a pretty big drop. I know interest at this time last year was much higher with the various debuts, but that's almost halved. I did notice the upper decks were much more bare than last year, and that lines were moving much more quickly across the board, so I guess that tracks. I wonder if a lot of the crowd that came down from upstate NY and CT last year stayed home because they just had or are getting multiple dates soon (On the flip side of the coin, we met a guy who came from Germany for it). Another interesting thing is that I noticed way, way less kids than last time, so maybe parents/kids were staying home this year too. The Punk bullshit was also way too recent to have affected sales. I wonder if it's maybe just a combination of the show cooling off a little and people just being broke as hell right now. I mean, think about it, half the people showed up but it drew a higher gate than last year...

Exactly. Tickets were scaled higher than last year and they drew a $1 million gate last night, which may be more important.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Some markets have cooled off, others haven't. Honestly think some stuff will fluctuate, so some metrics of their business may get higher while others go lower.

12,412 is still big number for non WWE promotions.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 3