DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Dynamite - 9/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, Gorman said:
  • Every match begins with a surprise attack instead of the "Code of Honor" handshake
  • Countout at 10 seconds instead of ROH's traditional 20
  • Fans ejected for chanting "We want wrestling"
  • When time limit expires, winner is determined by a dance contest, pie-eating contest or Super Posedown
  • Matches must be called "championship opportunities."
  • If a participant bleeds, they must be immediately taken to a medical facility.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I almost hope the Acclaimed lose because this title match feels like a booking correction / apology for the loss at the last PPV.   I honestly think that putting the belts on The Acclaimed on normal television, even a special event, does them a disservice.  I'd book Swerve to retain on this card, since everyone expect the Acclaimed to win, and then put the titles on the Acclaimed at a proper PPV.  Bowens and Castor deserve it.  Khan already failed to strike while the iron was hot, so what do a couple more weeks matter?  Wring as much drama and tension as you can out of the time leading up to the PPV big money match with mad shit talking promos from Swerve Strickland and a backstage beat down or two.

Danielson vs. Moxley should be a symphony of violence.  I am not sure if it can live up to the potential it has on paper since we all expect an epic asswhoopin', but I am sure both guys will do their best to put on a good show.

I co-sign the Ring of Jericho booking although I think it is way too early to take the belt off of Claudio.  I also don't believe that Jericho should be dropping falls to a BCC guy that is not Moxley or Danielson, so I expect a DQ, Count-out, or some other shenanigans to take place that allows Claudio to retain.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Jericho has to be winning here, simply to continue the Garcia storyline by one-upping him by winning a more important ROH title. The pop if Garcia beats Jericho down the road to unify the ROH belts and Danielson comes out to congratulate him as AEW Champion would be HUGE. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

a proper PPV.

I don't know man. Is this show, in front of this crowd, in this unique setting, with Acclaimed touted as having "home field advantage" really less important than Full Gear or whatever?

It's not Quake at the Lake or something.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I almost hope the Acclaimed lose because this title match feels like a booking correction / apology for the loss at the last PPV.   I honestly think that putting the belts on The Acclaimed on normal television, even a special event, does them a disservice.  I'd book Swerve to retain on this card, since everyone expect the Acclaimed to win, and then put the titles on the Acclaimed at a proper PPV.  Bowens and Castor deserve it.  Khan already failed to strike while the iron was hot, so what do a couple more weeks matter?  Wring as much drama and tension as you can out of the time leading up to the PPV big money match with mad shit talking promos from Swerve Strickland and a backstage beat down or two.

Not sure  how winning the titles on a ppv only a fraction of your fanbase buys would be better than winning the belts on one of the promotion’s most highly promoted shows.

It just occurred to me that I’ve never seen the Acclaimed wrestle.  Odd.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Only 5 matches on the card for tonight? Will Danielson-Mox get almost the entire second hour?

Time management needs to be on point because that's a constant criticism of AEW. One I have.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, J.T. said:

I very much agree with this in theory. I ranted on here before about how as soon as they booked the Acclaimed against the much older, much less over and far less exciting champions, I felt like the only way this match could work would be if the Acclaimed won.

Grand Slam feels very much like consolation booking, as you say. That being said, it is New York, and I think you risk pissing off the fans (not in a good way) even more and possibly damaging the Acclaimed more in the process if they lose again. I'm torn between what I feel should be a rightful ppv crowning of important new champions and the sad reality that they fucked up so hard by not booking them to win in the first place (let alone not calling an audible) that it's not going to be especially satisfying either way.

I would have just had them win the belts the Wednesday after All Out as a transparent apology for totally inept booking since the titles should have never been anywhere near Swerve and Lee in the first places and then booked them to win again in a rubber match at Grand Slam to end the feud and let us get on with the totally uninteresting Lee vs Swerve singles feud. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Question for the peoples. Is their a replay tonight? Wednesday night is date night in the household, which means we watch Survivor from 8-9 and then will fight to put a child to sleep from 9-whenever. I do have access to TBS West.

I'm pretty sure it's on TBS West at 8 pacific?

49 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Question for the peoples. Is their a replay tonight? Wednesday night is date night in the household, which means we watch Survivor from 8-9 and then will fight to put a child to sleep from 9-whenever. I do have access to TBS West.

DVR it and build in some time for a potential runover (record to like 10:20 easternish?)

51 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Eating a foolishly big Polish lunch in Greenpoint before the show. More and more it dawns on me that this Rampage taping is going to *kill* me.

Go to Comfortland in Astoria for dessert.  You won't regret it. ? 

• Like 2

I really need to rewatch Mox / Danielson 1 again. Anyone know what show it was on? It was one of my favourite AEW matches and definite MOTYC. I genuinely don't think they can one-up themselves if they wrestle the same match. They're going to have to change it up, excited to see how.

13 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

I really need to rewatch Mox / Danielson 1 again. Anyone know what show it was on? It was one of my favourite AEW matches and definite MOTYC. I genuinely don't think they can one-up themselves if they wrestle the same match. They're going to have to change it up, excited to see how.

Revolution 3/6/2022

• Thanks 1

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/tony-khan-teasing-surprises-for-both-aew-grand-slam-dynamite-rampage

I’m trying to think who is a big enough free agent out there to show up tonight.

if The Elite show up tonight and have a stare down with Death Triangle would be a surprise and the pop would be massive but I don’t see that happening just yet.

Colt Cabana showing up tonight would get a pop but I don’t know if it qualifies as a surprise.

• Like 1