DVDVR Message Board

Grand Slam II - Dynamite - 9/21/2022

Dolfan in NYC

sjyzc99hp1p91.jpg

Get ready.  (PLEASE) Stay healthy.  

THE CARD!

FOR THE VACANT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INTERIM WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb vs. Athena vs. Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D.

FOR THE RING OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Chris Jericho

FOR THE ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - PAC (c) vs. Orange Cassidy

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) (c) vs. The Acclaimed (Caster / Bowens)

• Like 3

I love that image. 

Let's talk about this card. I'm probably more into this week than any single AEW PPV in the last year. It's all the stuff I like and very little I don't like, even if every wrestler I care about isn't on the card. There are basically no wrestlers I don't like on the card for either night and the stakes all feel huge.

FOR THE VACANT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Jon Moxley vs. Bryan Danielson

They already had a match where they really went at it. I'd like to see Danielson try to drive this one more towards being a "title match" and force Moxley down onto the mat instead of having a match where blood and violence is the end goal. Actually, look, here's the deal: Danielson says he wants the title because he wants to wrestle in title matches as title matches are the most exciting. Moxley says he wants the title for all that it represents and he wants to be given the ball to take the shot. The two of them need to get together and figure out what those two competing forces and visions and character drives looks like and build a match out of that. I don't know what that would look like but it sounds amazing to me.

FOUR WAY MATCH FOR THE INTERIM WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Toni Storm (c) vs. Serena Deeb vs. Athena vs. Dr. Britt Baker, D.M.D.

Four ways are not great but there has been pretty good agenting lately. I think Davari might have been getting credit for some things? What makes this interesting are the characters/wrestlers involved. Britt brings the style, but there's a ton of substance with Storm, Deeb, and Athena. Deeb is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch this year. Athena's been tearing it up save for the Jade match. It's the only multi-person match on the show so it lets them get a bit more leeway with certain spots. I'll probably be more into single interactions and some of the alliances/betrayals/etc., than the overall match as a whole. 4-ways are more about the moments than the big picture most of the time.

FOR THE RING OF HONOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Chris Jericho

It's Jericho's career year and he's stacked the deck with yet another match. I'm curious how he goes at this one. With Eddie, it was the King's Road style. With Moxley, it was outwrestling him. With Danielson, it was getting outwrestled and having to rely on desperation moves or capitalize on a mistake. Presumably he's either going to lean into some aspect of ROH or he's going to have to work from underneath against Claudio's strength. 

FOR THE ALL-ATLANTIC CHAMPIONSHIP - PAC (c) vs. Orange Cassidy

I haven't seen their previous encounters, but this is more heated than you'd expect given the sneak attack. Personally, I'd like to see Cassidy try to bewilder PAC instead of outwrestle him, but this will probably play out like some of the big 2022 Cassidy workrate heavy matches. I liked the idea that Kip was keeping PAC off balance for the first half of their All Out pre-show match. PAC has to keep the belt leading to the Ethan Page match in Canada though.

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Swerve In Our Glory (Lee / Strickland) (c) vs. The Acclaimed (Caster / Bowens)

They have to figure out how to build on the last match, amp up the drama to make it think that Acclaimed aren't winning, then have the Acclaimed win. It's really as simple as that. Given just how good the PPV match was and how many tricks they utilized, I have no idea what the detailed way to do it should be. It depends a bit whether Lee and Strickland are going different ways after this or not and whether you want to build to a split. If not, I'd really lean hard into Keith Lee this time and make him a wall that the Acclaimed have to somehow get over even as Strickland shoots arrows out from behind it. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Gorman said:

As much as I want Claudio to win, it would be fun for Y2J to win and try to rebrand the entire promotion as "Ring of Jericho."

Seeing what a "sports entertainer" would do with the Pure rules would be pretty funny.

• Like 5

Acclaimed have to win, but I'd like to see both Swerve and Lee pushed up into the main event scene as a consolation soon afterwards, maybe even without feuding or splitting. It needs some freshening up, and they both have untapped, exciting first time matches with almost all the usual suspects.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Gorman said:

As much as I want Claudio to win, it would be fun for Y2J to win and try to rebrand the entire promotion as "Ring of Jericho."

It'd be great if he did out of spite for Garcia winning the Pure title, and if Garcia refuses to go along with changing the name of the title with him or something.

But you can also have Jericho get frustrated in losing and demanding that Garcia turn the Pure title over him or something.

• Like 3

Re: Moxley vs Danielson, I'm really stoked to be seeing this one. The last few weeks have been fucking miserable at times, but they stumbled on to a damn fine story here with it being both an eagerly awaited rematch from Revolution and it being exactly a year from Bryan's debut v Omega, so I cannot wait to see where we go from here. 

I can't remember who said this or where, so if it's one of you guys, feel free to pipe up: I read a kick ass idea this past week about how Danielson should win the match, but be upset with Moxley for not displaying the necessary BCC killer instinct and going after the injured ankle despite the fact they're teammates, so you have an out with Moxley basically losing to his own sense of loyalty. I thought that was absolutely brilliant and really hope that's what happens

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

So what you're saying is that the big surprise is THE NATIVE AMERICAN TATANKA!!

I'm not sure we're ok with an excessive amount of 2022 Chris Chavis' buttcrack.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Seeing what a "sports entertainer" would do with the Pure rules would be pretty funny.

Just watch Raw and take the worst finish each week.  It’d be easy.  Music distraction —> rollup pin.  3 or 4 way where one guy hits his finish and then Jericho steals the pin.  DQ for kicking too much ass.  All of it.  And make sure a ROH title match is never actually booked in advance; rather, it’s always booked after Jericho interrupts a guy’s promo/Jericho is interrupted, leaving you to wonder what had been booked originally.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Just watch Raw and take the worst finish each week.

this is the most petty idea i've heard in ages. it only appeals to that anti-WWE, pro-internet pro-Meltzer crowd. it doesn't promote any specific ideal or elevate anyone.

and yet, it is a stroke of pure mad genius and i love everything about it. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

• Every match begins with a surprise attack instead of the "Code of Honor" handshake
  • Countout at 10 seconds instead of ROH's traditional 20
  • Fans ejected for chanting "We want wrestling"
  • When time limit expires, winner is determined by a dance contest, pie-eating contest or Super Posedown
  • Haha 5

FdCqbPhaMAEeymi?format=jpg&name=small

One of my most anticipated AEW shows ever as I want to see every match. Really hoping Bryan Danielson wins the AEW World Championship as he already should have but think it'll be Jon Moxley. Boo. Still think an audible needed to be called to the Acclaimed beating Swerve in our Glory at AEW All Out 2022.

• Like 2