DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XIV - 10/8/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Ronda is a perfect example of someone who is over enough to leave be but who could be a fucking MEGA STAR with a manager.

As good as this run has been for Roman, so much of it should be credited to Heyman for getting him to that next level.

Give Ronda a decent spokesperson and turn her into Lady Brock and she'd be that 'special attraction' WWE wishes she was.

1 minute ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

We popped hard for Seth's RVD outfit. It not only was a nod to Van Dam and ECW as they were in Philly, it was a troll on Riddle since he's doing RVD's gimmick.

Yep. Seth Rollins wears attire to mock, wearing the polka dots vs. Cody Rhodes inside Hell in a Cell at the titular 2022 event and bringing back the Shield entrance/garb vs. Roman Reigns at the 2022 Royal Rumble.

I may be the only fan of Bray Wyatt in these parts. But I think The Wyatt Family stuff and the stuff before The Fiend was both incredible and a big missed opportunity at once. I don't understand the talk about Bray not being a good worker. I've said it a bunch of times before, but just a reminder:

The Wyatts/Shield from Eliminator Chamber 2014 is my all-time favorite match. I'm not alone in giving that match an insane amount of praise. And while it's far from a one-man show, Bray's character work in that match - the look of awe when Roman is powering out of his Sister Abigail at the end, for example - is just at another level. All of their rematches were great, too.

Bray/DB at that Royal Rumble was my favorite DB match during his big run. Also, the legendary segment where Bryan did the YES! chant on top of the cage was when he infiltrated The Wyatts and turned on them. You don't get that big a reaction without a really awesome antagonist. 

Bray/Cena had their dud of a supernatural WrestleMania match but the Last Man Standing match where Bray ate the ring steps that were being thrown into his face from the ring was awesome. 

Bray/Jericho had some bangers, including the cage match on Raw where Bray slammed the door in his face when he left in triumph. 

There were all sorts of WWE Dragon Gate thrillers with The Wyatts versus whoever on Raw and Smackdown during that time, too. 

I wasn't into The Fiend stuff at all. The mask and presentation was awesome. In-ring it took away from what Bray does best (over-the-top histrionics). The stuff with the kids show wasn't for me. 

But all of that from Extreme Rules was just really incredible. The pop was insane. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Greggulator said:

I may be the only fan of Bray Wyatt in these parts. But I think The Wyatt Family stuff and the stuff before The Fiend was both incredible and a big missed opportunity at once. I don't understand the talk about Bray not being a good worker. I've said it a bunch of times before, but just a reminder:

The Wyatts/Shield from Eliminator Chamber 2014 is my all-time favorite match. I'm not alone in giving that match an insane amount of praise. And while it's far from a one-man show, Bray's character work in that match - the look of awe when Roman is powering out of his Sister Abigail at the end, for example - is just at another level. All of their rematches were great, too.

Bray/DB at that Royal Rumble was my favorite DB match during his big run. Also, the legendary segment where Bryan did the YES! chant on top of the cage was when he infiltrated The Wyatts and turned on them. You don't get that big a reaction without a really awesome antagonist. 

Bray/Cena had their dud of a supernatural WrestleMania match but the Last Man Standing match where Bray ate the ring steps that were being thrown into his face from the ring was awesome. 

Bray/Jericho had some bangers, including the cage match on Raw where Bray slammed the door in his face when he left in triumph. 

There were all sorts of WWE Dragon Gate thrillers with The Wyatts versus whoever on Raw and Smackdown during that time, too. 

I wasn't into The Fiend stuff at all. The mask and presentation was awesome. In-ring it took away from what Bray does best (over-the-top histrionics). The stuff with the kids show wasn't for me. 

But all of that from Extreme Rules was just really incredible. The pop was insane. 

I'm a Bray Wyatt fan: 

The cult leader of the Wyatt Family. Wyatt Family vs. The Shield from Elimination Chamber 2014 is one of the best matches of all time, not just WWE. A ***** match.

The matches with The GOAT, Daniel Bryan at Royal Rumble 2014, Survivor Series 2019 and Royal Rumble 2020.

The kids TV presenter and the alter ego as the sinister Fiend. Bray took a chance knowing he needed to reinvent himself, that he did. That's probably my most unpopular opinion on this board.

It's his shit booking losing to John Cena at WrestleMania XXX/Payback 2014, The Undertaker at WrestleMania 31, Goldberg at Crown Jewel 2020 and Randy Orton at WrestleMania XXXVII.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, username said:

I mean everyone talking about Rousey, Liv looked absolutely dreadful in that match and I feel she was given her chance with the belt and proved that she's just not that good. She's got some presence but is a poor promo and in-ring is always a mess, Rousey should not be given a mic ever but is otherwise generally comfortably better than Liv. I get that Liv is likable and tries and that's enough to keep her around, but she's clearly not equipped to be used at this level.

I felt the same way she wasn't good at all but that type

After she won at MiTB that was one of the best cash-ins in recent memory because everyone wanted her to finally win after getting so close. After she won, I think alot of people see she's a step or two below the 4 horsewomen and Bianca and it didn't help thar her moment came when Charlotte went away and Sasha left so it felt like she was filling someone else's spot. 

Her match against Becky was really good 

That match exposed both of them...and whoever was the agent/producer. Not the worst match ever or anything, but not good either.

- The minute Liv brought the baseball bat down, I immediately thought of Triple H's sledgehammer, arguably the dumbest weapon to have as your signature weapon. Like the sledgehammer, a baseball bat is the kind of thing where, in a real fight, if used as intended, it could/would be a one-and-done. You blast someone in the legs, ribs, or head with a baseball bat, and they're done. So...in a wrestling match, it just doesn't work. That's the beauty of things like thumbtacks or a chair or even a ladder. You can use them and its still believable that someone might not end up in the hospital if they get hit with one or get put through a table. 

That being said, I actually thought Rousey's first shot with the bat (as Liv came off the steps) looked good. They should've ended it there and had Rousey throw the bat away, though. Instead, she proceeded to use it to essentially spank Liv's thighs for awhile. 

- Speaking of Rousey, while she's better than Liv, she's not experienced or skilled enough to lead. She hits her big moves well. Her submissions look good. But she's still awkward with "the little things," specifically facial expressions and transitions. Its one of those things that makes Brock Lesnar so damn good as, even against much smaller opponents like Balor or AJ or Bryan, he was able to find ways to actually look vulnerable and wounded. Rousey's just not nearly at that level as a performer that she can make Liv seem like a credible threat. 

- They botched a spot in the corner as the chair didn't cooperate. It wasn't a big deal. What was more noticeable was them being flustered and screwing up the next spot. Again, not a big deal. Nobody's perfect. But why again are Liv Morgan and Ronda Rousey doing these convoluted spots when Rousey is a legit Olympic-level judo and MMA star and Liv Morgan should basically just be trying to get one lucky shot in with a weapon or trickery. They lost the plot with what this feud/rivalry should've been. 

- Whoever thought Liv smiling at the end of the match was an interesting or creative or intriguing thing to do should be fired. It was super dumb, made absolutely no sense for Liv's character (unless I missed the part where she was secretly a masochist ala the original Mankind character?), and also tainted Rousey's victory. 

14 hours ago, DMJ said:

- Whoever thought Liv smiling at the end of the match was an interesting or creative or intriguing thing to do should be fired. It was super dumb, made absolutely no sense for Liv's character (unless I missed the part where she was secretly a masochist ala the original Mankind character?), and also tainted Rousey's victory. 

My guess is the smile will be explained away as the first sign of Bray Wyatt/Fiend influence.  Still dumb, imo.

I didn't see the match but didn't Liv pass out instead of tapping?  If so then that seems like a moral victory to her that she didn't tap to Ronda so I can understand if she was smiling upon realizing what was to happen.  But the next step is important as she's either going to be more vicious coming back for the title or she'll be set aside for a new contender.  Neither option is great but I'd choose the former over the latter.

• Like 2

Dave Meltzer star ratings:

Imperium vs Brawling Brutes: ****.5

Liv Morgan (c) vs Ronda Rousey (Smackdown Womens Championship): **

Karrion Kross vs Drew McIntyre: ***.25

Bianca Belair (c) vs Bayley (RAW Womens Championship): ***.5

Finn Balor vs Edge: ****.5

Matt Riddle vs Seth Rollins: ***.75