DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XIV - 10/8/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Imperium/Brutes was a fantastic brawl and easily MOTN. Dug how Imperium started of so well and gradually lost control as it went on. Loved seeing Sheamus bust out the Celtic Cross. He does it so rarely. It should absolutely be what he uses when he finally wins the IC title.

Liv/Ronda was solid enough as story and had some neat moments. Ronda is more at home as a trash talking heel. The finish was far better than the previous ones Liv got despite losing this time around. Still it felt like the two were holding back on the weapon shots a little too much.

Kross/Drew was a decent match and the first time I really have bought into Kross somewhat in the ring as far as his WWE/NXT work goes. He still isn't good, but he had more presence here than previously. Still lacking compared to others, but I did enjoy him and Scarlett celebrating. 

Bianca/Bayley happening as the fourth match surprised me until I remembered the white rabbit stuff. Match was generally good and made me wince a few times. Hopefully neither was hurt. Was good seeing Bianca able to stand tall at the end.

Was kind of in the middle of something during the first half of Edge/Finn, but I kind of loved the drama of the second with Judgement Day interference, Beth making the save, and Edge's comeback, and the eventual finish. It was all so damn great and made Judgement Day the most hated bastards alive by the end. 

Seth/Riddle was enjoyable, but was missing blood. Normally I'm not super bothered by the of it, but with all of the shit people were doing on this ppv beforehand this was a match that kind of needed to go next level to really hit home. It had some decent moments. Thought DC was decent as the special ref. And I dug the finish, but it wasn't on the same level of the previous match. Never even hit the same hatred you felt when Riddle tried to murder Seth in previous matches and segments.

Bray's comeback at the end was a little too drawn out, but neat overall. The crowd bought into it completely if only for their love of Bray. So damn happy the Fiend is being left behind. Bray was never great in the ring, but that gimmick really hurt the potential for worthwhile matches even moreso. Curious to see what he actually does next and if he is alone.

Didn;t love this one, but I think it leaned mostly towards the good side if only for Brutes/Imperium bianca/Bayley, and the last third or so of Finn/Edge.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the show, but I couldn't help but think it was missing a main event. Maybe because I am old, but I'm just used to PPV/PLE shows ending with a big main event. If it isn't a title match, a match with two (or more) of the top stars going at it with something on the line. Edge/Balor and Rollins/Riddle I think both would count as solid matches to have right under the main event, but neither felt like that big memorable match. I have no issue with Reigns holding both titles but the idea that the champion of both brands not being around is something I probably won't get used to. Hopefully that is something HHH will phase out once they get one of the belts off of him, whenever that may be.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I really enjoyed the show, but I couldn't help but think it was missing a main event. Maybe because I am old, but I'm just used to PPV/PLE shows ending with a big main event. If it isn't a title match, a match with two (or more) of the top stars going at it with something on the line. Edge/Balor and Rollins/Riddle I think both would count as solid matches to have right under the main event, but neither felt like that big memorable match. I have no issue with Reigns holding both titles but the idea that the champion of both brands not being around is something I probably won't get used to. Hopefully that is something HHH will phase out once they get one of the belts off of him, whenever that may be.

The main event here was probably considered Bray's return. Nothing was getting that reaction save the ending we saw in Edge/Finny and Bayley/Bianca. Saying that I still sort of think the latter should have been the main. More of the audience was clearly there for that than Seth/Riddle.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That intro was cool and all, but the bell still has to ring and it's gonna be for naught if Bray still fucking sucks.

If they cut back on all the hoaky Supernatural stuff during his Matches his did during his second run as the Fiend he'll be Okay.

I've wondered if him doing the Supernatural thing in ring was Vinces idea or His idea. I think Hunter would want him to cut back on it because he seems like he'd want a more serious in presentation overall 

I'm so tired of the WWE attempting to make Ronda Rousey a thing.

She doesn't want to be there and has no personality when she talks on the mic, whether it's as a face or a heel. She sounds absolutely pissed off at having to even be there and does promos about as well as she did reading lines as Sonya Blade for Mortal Kombat. As in, not at all.

Of course, she goes over Liv Morgan. Rousey should be jobbing until HHH is tired of her being there.

The only time Ronda Rousey even came close to having something was her feud with Becky Lynch, which was all due to Lynch. Surprise, surprise Liv Morgan can't recapture that magic because Ronda Rousey is awful and pulled a Hulk Hogan "I'm going to win brother" creative control move.

Rousey and MJF need to start a promotion together so I don't have to see either of them on TV.

• Like 1

Well, Liv did beat her twice. I'm not so sure this was some sort of power play. It was inevitable. The plucky babyface managed to win the belt, defend it, and then loses it in a weapons filled brawl to Rousey seems logical. And I don't like Rousey either .

• Like 3

I thought it was a pretty good show from start to finish. The 6 man brawl was easily the match of the night. Imperium was getting some legit heat from that crowd. I just loved the chaos of the match. The Sheamus/GUNTHER feud continues to deliver. 

Ronda vs. Liv was all right. It was the standard Ronda match at this point but with weapons. I liked the ending. Liv didn't tap. They both looked good.

Kross vs. Drew was all right for a strap match. I kinda laughed when Cole brought up Sting/Vader. That's the gold standard of strap matches and no one is touching that. I don't like the pinfall stip that the WWE uses for strap matches. You need to drag your opponent around. They could have still gone with the pepper spray at the end. Just do the old the other guy was secretly touching the turnbuckles behind you thing. But overall a good match. Scarlett gets all of Kross's heat though.

Bianca/Bayley was a decent ladder match. I'm glad no one did the broken ladder like it's a table spot though. I'm surprised Bianca did win though. But the kids in the crowd seemed to enjoy that.

Edge/Finn was good. I figured Judgement Day would come out to save Edge when they did. I don't know what Cole is talking about saying Edge is past his prime. He looks better today than he did during his "prime". Loved Beth getting involved just so someone could lay out Rhea. But it was a nice touch with her taking out Beth and them using that to get him to quit. And of course she does the conchairto anyway. Dominik gets some really good heat. I want to see them building to a Mask vs. Hair match against him and his dad.

The Fight Pit was good. Could have used some blood (though Riddle did have a scratch over his eye). I think this concept could work more on the main roster so I hope the match isn't just a one off. Loved the finish with Riddle not letting go and finally getting him to tap.

And the ending with Wyatt. I loved it. This is going to be a real test of Triple H and his creative powers. Return of the year for me so I hope they don't screw it up.

• Like 2

Bray is the very definition of "less is more" in the ring.

He can get by on promos and aura alone for months at a time and then have a brutal, 10-12 minute brawl or 20+ minute plunder fueled main event.

If he's going back to "Cult Leader" Bray then recruiting Braun and Alexa to battle Judgement Day would be perfectly fine to start as a major feud.

I don't see him taking the title from Roman but I'm not sure that's really what he is. He will get a pop and move merch regardless of the title.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I think this concept could work more on the main roster so I hope the match isn't just a one off.

Its the third one they have done and biggest yet with it main eventing a ppv. I don't see it going away with the amount of amateur wrestling and mma trained people they have on the roster

Edited by Eivion