DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/16/2022

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

Matt vs Darby fucking ruled. Matt has made more of a case for himself as an all time great since his body broke down than during the first half of his career. Masterclass. Darby of course does not miss, and he’s convinced me that he could absolutely carry Sting in a singles match if they wanted to run a student vs mentor program. 

ever sense his 2007 SD! run against Helms, Finlay, and MVP I've felt Matt Hardy is al all-time tv match worker, sure Jeff is better in the big time car crash amtches with people jumping of high things. But Matt's your guy in you want solid stuff week in and week out. His AEW run has only reinforced my view of him

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Well this was quite the variety pack of matches vacuum sealed into an hour.

Enjoyed all of this.  I need good things right now.

Count me in on being impressed with Ford.  I really thought she was a break out star after All In.  I’m glad to see that start playing out with a big win.  Willow looked great and is only more endearing in defeat.

The Egos Edge was broo-talllll!

Eddie is turning into a Brillo Pad.

Oddest Irony of the week:  I was MOST concerned with the well being of Matt Hardy in a match that included Darby Allin.  

• Like 6

Saturday Morning Pro Wrestling is the best pro wrestling. Past who challenged Claudio (I did a CTRL+F for that), I was unspoiled on this one.

• Matt vs Darby was good! Matt is one of those wrestlers that have gotten the most grief from people here or at PWO in my last year of watching AEW but he can absolutely layout a match and this felt like ECW Ace Matt or something, mat wrestling to start (which is something Darby does now and again and I always love when he does), capitalizing on an injury, absorbing Darby's comebacks as they hurt him too, and then having to escalate to the point of disaster as he can't put him away. It wasn't Matt trying to wrestle Darby's match. It was Matt forcing Darby to wrestle his. He's really good and when he works to his limitations, he can have really good matches. Tremendously valuable guy to have on the roster. Darby's wipe out on the apron was nasty. Him getting jammed as he went for the tope looked great. The camera catching/announcers didn't quite sell the finish well enough, but if it took them by surprise, you can figure it would take Matt by surprise too.
  • Ford vs Willow was also good. They brought back Ford straight into a couple of high profile losses, so they had to build her back here a bit. She was dominated by Willow's size advantage but then capitalized on her mistakes (the missed senton, the missed pounce, which was a solid visual) and ground down on her. When the PiP went back into the main shot, we missed Willow's comeback moment, which was a shame. You guys missed each announcer going "She licked her" one after the other during PiP, but trust me, it wasn't missing much. Definitive finish but I don't think Willow was hurt in tapping as the bridging deathlock makes it look like there's just nowhere to go. JR's commentary was brutal here with his "By Howdy, I sure just can't wrap my mind around this giant colorful Willow person." stuff.
  • Danhausen got just enough in on Page. He sure crumples well when he's cut off or cut down. I'm sure he was very happy to make Page look like a million bucks. I don't know, I'm looking forward to PAC vs Page.
  • Having watched Dark and liking her more than most people probably do, I still wouldn't call Diamante "red hot" right now.
  • Main was good. It was best when there was a sense of weight and heft underneath these two, just hosses slamming into each other. Joe, to me, is in his 90s Hansen phase, where he's a vulnerable monster. You can pry off a bodypart and keep him down and hurting, but he's able to come back with one or two moves and just absolutely crush you. He's also such a canny vet that he knew exactly how long to go to get the fans clapping up so he could fight from underneath out of the cross arm breaker. Woods was consistent and focused but I don't now how compelling some of his armwork was. I'm not sure what I would have wanted him to do differently. I'm sure against a smaller opponent he would have been able to leverage his strength more, but maybe he could have come at some odder angles here or been a bit more vicious instead of just driven and focused.

Both shows are really stacked next week.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering how they were going to fit all of those matches into an hour for Grand Slam Rampage, but then I remembered that it's a 2 hour special.

• Like 1

As usual, I only saw bits of the show as I was busy. Wrestling seemed perfectly fine. Liked what I saw of Matt and Darby, particularly. Crippled heavy hitter Matt Hardy is probably second only to tlc tag Matt Hardy. I appreciate the effort he put in and couldn't believe he attempted a moonsault. Darby the most consistent wrestler in the company. 

Regarding grand slam stuff:

If Miro doesn't win the battle royal I am canceling my aew network subscription.

Don't love Hobbs and Starks going 50/50 but I guess they gotta do it after the match they had at the ppv.

Aew has so much talent that even when they seemingly throw together a random card with little build it'll deliver but it does feel like it's operating at about half of what it could be. Jade vs. Diamante? What have i done to deserve this? Jade needs some help and you put her in there with Diamante. Who is in the worst aew match I've seen (that hardcore match with Swole) and not good and practically unknown. What the fuck? Are they expecting her to be over because Puerto Rican heritage like she's Pedro? 

Save us, Action Bronson! That and the tag titles are what I'm looking forward to the most. I love Danielson but think he can underdeliver in big matches and doesn't have the long list of high end GOAT contenders that somebody with his resume and ability should have. Add to that, the super disappointing match from Revolution those two had and I'll hope this is a big improvement but I'm not excited for it.

What a difference a year makes. Feel like AEW peaked (for now) with last year's Grand Slam with 20k molten hot for Danielson vs. Omega and the excitement for what was to come with Punk and Danielson added to the mix. Now it feels like a rebuild mode trying to right the ship. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Enjoyed the match between Penelope and Willow. I'm a fan of both but Penelope really needed this win after the last few weeks. Plus, Willow still looked strong in defeat.

This is about the second or third time Jade has had a title defense set-up with little to no fanfare. I like Diamonte but I know the crowd is probably gonna be crickets. 

• Like 2

I was worried about Matt-Darby but it was great as Matt controlled and wrestled well within his limits to make for a compelling match that was very different from what might have been a year or two ago. When Jericho mentioned that surely Sting would be at Grand Slam, I realized they were going to be setting up something, most like with HoB. No DQ means we get some Sting silliness!

Diamante isn’t exactly hot, but I guess they needed something for Jade to do. Eddie said during the long tweet video signing session that Diamanté and Stat were “his girls” so maybe that’s why she’s getting a Grand Slam match.

Willow is great because she has so much character and personality that she can heat up the coldest opponent, in this case Penelope Ford. If we’re going to talk smack about Athena no-selling the knee, we have to talk about Ford no-selling that pounce onto the ropes. Presumably, they’re heating Ford up for a PPV match against Jade, Baddies vs SuperBadGirl.

Page and Danhausen was a fun squash, Ego’s Edge was impressive. I’m not as into Page as I once was.

Main was very good, not great, not quite the hoss fight I was hoping for. In terms of draw and crowd appeal, Joe is a great person to have but he’s only about 70% of who he was at his prime, which is still excellent. He also knows how to keep a crowd in the match, how to build, how to sell so he has a ton of value. Woods is impressive but doesn’t have some of those intangible qualities yet.

Next week is ridiculously stacked. Jericho-Claudio is a bonus banger, and hopefully they let Kingston unleash his demons on Sammy.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 4

Matt crashing and burning on the moonsault right into the finishing stretch was great. Typically the story there is “aging flyer tries to turn back the clock once too often out of sheer hubris” but with the way Matt worked the rest of the match and this being part of his apology/comeback tour it reads like he felt he owed it to Darby to give him a “Matt Hardy Match” and he paid for it. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Can't wait for JR to fuck off.

I haven’t thought JR was at the top of his game since….. I dunno, early days of JR/King, probably before.  But, I still feel like the AEW hate is overblown and kind of obnoxious, so I’m hoping he somehow manages to stay in the booth another ten years or so.  

• Haha 1

Very good show! While Matt is painful to watch these days (meaning I hurt because it looks like he's in pain doing everything he's still capable of) this was a hell of a match! Ok, the tag match with House of Black, now Sting needs to get pinned at some point, or you need to give him a title match of some kind!

Jericho vs Claudio, will Jericho be the one to get ROH on actual TV?

Willow vs Penelope could have gone either way, there were points where I wasn't sure who's gonna win?

Main event was intense af and Ethan Page avoided Danhausen's curse. Next week should be a blast!

Edited by Shartnado
Typo
  • Like 4

It's pretty remarkable how smoothly this company has moved along after the PPV chaos and losing three key talent. This was a terrific show. I echo the sentiments of Nightingale, Hardy and Woods looking great in defeat. Woods in particular has really upped his game since crossing over. That said, I'd love it if he improved the style choice on his tights. Maybe go a little more Varsity with an official looking singlet adorned with his alma matter on the front. Is it rude to ask why Kip Sabian still has a job? So if Jade's gearing up for Mercedes and Joe and Wardy are seemingly on a collision course, are they potentially setting up a combining of champions while we wait patiently for the new ROH TV show? So stoked for this Grand Salami line-up. Really happy they're able to offer Eddie and Gueverra - I don't want to raise expectations, but that one should have perfect heat! So so happy to see Buddy and Brody move on as a tandem (with the wonderful Julia). I was a Malakai fan (minus the promos), but Brody/Buddy running after tag titles as oppose to being in a middling trio (granted their were injuries) or heaters is a potentially much better scenario. Also, superstoked for Jungle Boy-Fenix! I'm a Ricky Starks fan, but he's suffering from Max JF syndrome of having great delivery and nothing to say. Or is that WWE syndrome? Speaking of which I'll now take a look at a 'fun (in Dean we trust)' Smackdown in the classic Saturday afternoon wrestling line-up. Pick a year - 2022!

Edited by HarryArchieGus
An not A
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Jiji said:

What the fuck? Are they expecting her to be over because Puerto Rican heritage like she's Pedro? 

She's Cuban, don't let her hear you say that!!!

Homicide got a monster pop last year, so maybe the idea is that she will too by association since they were in LAX together with Santana/Ortiz? 

Edit: and are area guys

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

22 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

She's Cuban, don't let her hear you say that!!!

Homicide got a monster pop last year, so maybe the idea is that she will too by association since they were in LAX together with Santana/Ortiz? 

Edit: and are area guys

Eeeeh, apologies! Rest of my point stands! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

The way Penelope writhes during the Muta Lock makes her look like a Silent Hill enemy (this is good!) 

I'm a huge fan of Evil Kip/Penelope's new looks, they're both really nailing the presentation so far IMO. It's gotta be hard to come up with stuff when you've already got HOB and Sting/Darby doing spooky - Penelope in particular did a really nice job of not overlapping too much with Julia, and I'm oddly into Kip's guy liner of death.

• Like 2

I like Kip's new look but he needs a feud in a bad way. That All Out preshow match with PAC wasn't a great showcase for his return. Alternatively I'd be fine if he was just relegated to being Penelope Ford's valet and then we get more matches from her.

Edited by Sammo~!
I can spell I swear
  • Like 1