DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/16/2022

On paper, this is a really interesting line-up with the potential to showcase four very different types of pro wrestling matches.

- ROH TV Title: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Josh Woods

Pretty likely to be two big, tough dudes just beating the hell out of each other. That's one of my favourite types of pro wrestling matches! I am pretty sure I am not alone in feeling that way.

-Darby Allin vs. Matt Hardy

Pretty likely to be a lot of genuinely crazy high-risk wrestling. Possibly even a stunt show type of match. If you asked me out of context if I like that kind of match, I'd say "No." But, if you asked me if I love watching Darby Allin fight, I'd say " Oh hell yes. That is among my favourite things to do. " It's conceivable that they might, instead, do a lot of RINGS style complex mat work... but that would be a surprising choice in my opinion.

-Ethan Page vs. Danhausen

Likely to be silly goofy nonsense. I like that. It's a thing AEW does well. Also, it makes the pro wrestling grandpas angry, which brings me schadenfreude. But then they bitch about it online, which kind of bums me out. This could also conceivably be a very quick squash match. That would be less surprising than if Matt and Darby went all Volk Han in their match.

-Penelope Ford vs. Willow Nightingale

I'm hoping we get a lot of character work in this one. The literal "bad girl" vs the happy go lucky ray of sunshine. I'm setting myself up for mild disappointment by hoping for a Nightingale win here. That's a downside to watching the YouTube shows, perhaps. You can develop favourites (JD Drake, Bear Country, Legit Leyla, Willow, Nicky Boy, Big Shotty Sakazaki...) only to see them used as JTTS on the network shows.

But not always. So I am hoping for a Nightingale win, and push. Or at least a good showcase for her utterly charming character.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Hardy has been hobbling half speed the last couple of weeks, Darby is going to have to do all the work if this is going to be any good.

I got a bad feeling about this.  But Darby Allin is fucking great.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I'm hoping we get a lot of character work in this one. The literal "bad girl" vs the happy go lucky ray of sunshine. I'm setting myself up for mild disappointment by hoping for a Nightingale win here. That's a downside to watching the YouTube shows, perhaps. You can develop favourites (JD Drake, Bear Country, Legit Leyla, Willow, Nicky Boy, Big Shotty Sakazaki...) only to see them used as JTTS on the network shows.

But not always. So I am hoping for a Nightingale win, and push. Or at least a good showcase for her utterly charming character.

Penelope Ford has looked really good since she came back and I'm hoping she gets a push to the ROH title or something.

• Like 6

Penelope vs Willow is one of those unfortunate matches where they probably should be protecting both wrestlers. I do think they sort of see Penelope as bulletproof though. A heel who can put people over forever and will always be seen as credible and dangerous. I'm with DEAN that I'd be all for a Martinez vs Ford match though.

• Like 6

Matt vs Darby fucking ruled. Matt has made more of a case for himself as an all time great since his body broke down than during the first half of his career. Masterclass. Darby of course does not miss, and he’s convinced me that he could absolutely carry Sting in a singles match if they wanted to run a student vs mentor program. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

ALLRIGHT! MORE WRESTLING!   Today, I've watched a kinda shitty episode of NWA POWERRR, and overachieving episode of Women's Wrestling Army with a fucking HARROWING Queen Aminata ass stomp of Janai Kai, and very fun episode of SMACKDOWN and now- RAMPAGE!  RETIREMENT!  It's JR!  I will not be annoyed!  It's Darby Allin!  It's Matt Hardy!  They start slow and non-life threatening.  Matt cuts off the life threatening Crazy Fucking Tope of Darby Allin,  Matt keeps Darby alive by going neck first into the steps.  BUT.  Allin decides HE MUST DIE so he takes a header off the top to his back on the apron.  Nice powerbomb by Matt against the ringpost.  This match is the best Matt Hardy has looked in a while.  Allin is just taking everything as hard as possible because he is fucking great at making his opponent look like a fucking killer.  Another Powerbomb in the corner by Matt.  Allin sells the lower back because Matt has done about everything he can to destroy it.  I love that there has only been one preposterously dangerous moves by Allin but this match is still really good.  THIRD POWERBOMB BY MATT HARDY!  Matt Hardy IS Sycho Sid!  CODE RED FOR TWO after Hardy misses Moonsault!  Allin gets the roll up thingy pin!  That was great!  Allin has a normalish wrestling match and it is really good.  Matt Hardy looked fucking good.  BRODIE KING!  JULIA!  EVIL! COOL SUBMISSION!  House of Black versus STING! and Allin should be good.   WHOA!  Eddie Kingston versus Sammy Guevara!  LEGIT HEAT IN THE BACK!  Jericho vs Claudio!  Jesus!  Dynamite is so fucking loaded.  It's Penelope Ford!  It's Willow Nightingale!  Willow is very peppy.  She looks great in this.  Ford is so EVIL!  She has a vicious streak!  Penelope licks Willow face seductively as Ford channels the women's coach, Goldust.  Penelope Ford looks fucking great in the tiny screen as she beats heat on Willow to get the crowd behind her STRUGGLE to escape the uncomfortable, vicious, evil assault of Penelope Ford!  SWEET Spinebuster by Willow FOR TWO!  GREAT Stunner by Penelope FOR TWO!  POUNCE BY WILLOW!  Penelope Ford applies her Elaborate Indian Deathlock for the SUBMISSION!  That was good.  Holy SHIT!  RUSH vs HANGMAN PAGE is a fight I can get behind!  It's DANHAUSEN!  He is OVER everywhere!  Angry Stepfather Ethan Page!  Jericho makes the Other Firm reference!  Ethan Page goes total Ted DiBiase and beats the crap out of Danhausen.  Ethan Page versus PAC will be good.  Or will it be against Orange Cassidy?  Time will tell.  It's Samoa Joe!  It's Josh Woods!  I wonder if Joe can take a bunch of suplexes at this point in his career.  I see they are going for the striking side of wrestling.  Josh Woods is a total animal in picture in picture, going total BattlARTS on Samoa Joe.  Josh Woods IS Katsumi Usuda.  This is almost what I wanted out this match, if they added Woods going Steiner on Joe it would be perfect.  And they have the first Suplex by Woods.  NICE Powerslam by Joe FOR TWO!  Great nearfalls by Woods.  GREAT counter out of the corner as Woods charges!  Muscle Buster for the WIN!  That was good.  Josh Woods looked fucking GREAT.  Postmatch, Nese and Woods attacks Joe!  WARDLOW MAKES THE SAVE!  THAT would  a fun tag team.  That was a bunch of good wrestling.  AEW RULES THE FUCKING WORLD!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

That was pretty f'n good! Matt,Willow, and Woods all looked pretty f'n good in taking a loss. Darby and Matt didn't overdo the crazy stuff. It looked kinda sloppy in a good way, if that makes sense. Willow and Penelope went back and forth and we got that big contrast of personality that I was hoping for. Juxtaposition! The main event delivered. Chris Jericho also likes big dudes beating the hell out of one another! Told you I wasn't alone in that feeling. Holy moley they set up a LOT of HAWT matches for next week! CM Who? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Matt/Darby was fun as expected. Thrilled that Jade 'cut the shit' herself and can get back to shining now. Next week we get The OG Baddie from the 305! Stir it up.

Penelope looked great in victory. Rush rules. Solid main event, dig the Joe/Wardlow team up. Looking forward to next week's Grand Slam 2 hour special Rampage. Stacked both nights

I don't expect Claudio to lose, but kinda love the idea of Jericho as ROH Champ.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 6

I thought I would hate the Boxhead gimmick for Kip Sabian, but it is slowly growing on me.   He argues with the Box the same way that Al Snow argued with Head, so at least Kip is smart enough to use the Box as a theatrical prop. 

Now he needs to start racking up some wins.  Sitting in the stands while Penelope works is not doing it for me.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 7:32 PM, Gordlow said:

On paper, this is a really interesting line-up with the potential to showcase four very different types of pro wrestling matches.

- ROH TV Title: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Josh Woods

Pretty likely to be two big, tough dudes just beating the hell out of each other. That's one of my favourite types of pro wrestling matches! I am pretty sure I am not alone in feeling that way.

-Darby Allin vs. Matt Hardy

Pretty likely to be a lot of genuinely crazy high-risk wrestling. Possibly even a stunt show type of match. If you asked me out of context if I like that kind of match, I'd say "No." But, if you asked me if I love watching Darby Allin fight, I'd say " Oh hell yes. That is among my favourite things to do. " It's conceivable that they might, instead, do a lot of RINGS style complex mat work... but that would be a surprising choice in my opinion.

-Ethan Page vs. Danhausen

Likely to be silly goofy nonsense. I like that. It's a thing AEW does well. Also, it makes the pro wrestling grandpas angry, which brings me schadenfreude. But then they bitch about it online, which kind of bums me out. This could also conceivably be a very quick squash match. That would be less surprising than if Matt and Darby went all Volk Han in their match.

Well we did get a bit of Volk Han style graps out of Darby right?

I like Ethan Page Smitter of silly gimmicks ( I would love for whats face to try to get an interview with Luigi Primo every week only for pizza man to eat a random boot to the face from a different heel)

Cool to see the Super Bad Girl get a win (Although I do love Willow so my heart was torn) Did she used to wrestle in heels? And switched to boots? I was kinda wondering if Kip and Penelope would be served by a jump to NXT if they can't get off the youtube shows

As much as we bitch about JR he was on his game for the main event (its get more and more clear every week about what he likes vs what he doesn't) I just finished reading The Cowboy and The Cross and I'm sure this would have been Bill Watts wet dream. Big strapping young man with legit collegiate credentials vs monster from the islands. And how about Wardlow giving Nese a run for the title of best abs in the business (Joe has the title of Most Abs tm Jesse Ventura) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1