DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/14/2022

The Natural

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I don't get Athena whatsoever.

The presentation is all over the place, and generally has been since NXT debut.

There's been vague supernatural elements to the character that have generally fluctuated, but then also she likes to build shit like the wings, which I don't think really look great, or add to the character. Fallen Goddess but again never really build on what that character is, or if there's any form of redemption arc going on, as the name alludes to. The in-ring gear is largely unflattering and again doesn't seem to go with the character she's portraying.

The promos during the Jade program were all over the place with their motivations, and really if you talk that much shit leading up to a high profile match and get squashed, it probably should have lead to a heel turn on Toni at Dynamite.

The in-ring stuff is again all over the shop and probably lacks a definitive style in how she wants to present herself. The psychology is all over the shop, as LWP pointed out with the knee stuff, and often wanting to just get her shit in. Definitely needs to decide whether she's a spot machine high flyer, a powerhouse or Ricky Morton. Instead it's usually all 3 every match and it comes off Brian Cage like.

I think she's definitely still got a bit of a choker tag to her from how NXT booked her before the main roster call up, coming up short against Asuka and so unconvincing against Baszler and crew.

Make her a Baddie and see where it goes.

3 hours ago, Matt D said:

I struggled with Ember Moon a lot in WWE for some similar reasons, actually. It was never clear who or what she was. It was never clear what made her unique or standout, other than the finisher. This wasn't just on the main roster but in NXT as well. I could have summed up Alexa Bliss or Naomi or Tamina or Nattie in a sentence or two at any point but not really Ember Moon. Which is kind of fine, but I also couldn't do it in two paragraphs.

I am doing better with Athena. She's generally a geek/nerd who creates her own special gear/entrance stuff, talks a big game, doesn't take people's crap, will dropkick the soul out of you, and has the most dangerous finisher in the company.

That said, some of that is me having heard her Unrestricted interview and watching her on Dark/Elevation too, so I don't know how much has been there in the text itself and how much is extraneous stuff or me putting things together in my head.

This is bigger issue in US wrestling over the last several years, everyone got obsessed over "work" and forgot about "character". Yhea Eddie Guerruo was a fantastic in ring talent but his personality got him over. And "Latino Heat" told us about him a bit. Now we get "Fallen Goddess" or "Archer of Infamy" which just sounds like so much word salad. I should be able to describe someone in a few sentences without using the word wrestler. I could do this with Flair, Dusty, Eddie or Savage

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Random question, but have Athena and Willow ever wrestled? I meant to ask that after they tagged in a trios match on Rampage pretty recently but forgot, and this conversation reminded me.

Willow debuted a few months before Athena signed with NXT. So, no. Not yet anyway.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2022 at 9:17 AM, For Great Justice said:

I’m not saying you want Jericho as your lead booker, but you definitely want him on the booking committee. He does an excellent job being proactive and having his finger on the pulse of the audience. The recent stage show in Glasgow that they uploaded to his pod was a good look into his process. 

He’s really good at dropping his misses quickly (see: “GFY” being the drizzling shits) and running with what the audience reacts to.

I expect BWEBSEE (or what ever it is) to end up on the scrap heap fairly quickly as well

Anyway one thing I really appreciated about that overly long Stokely/MJF bit was that they kept the continuity of having the heels wear boat shoes 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sammo~! said:

Steve Austin needs to sit her down and ask "Now what's so fallen about the fallen goddess?"

"Well Steve, if I HADN'T fallen, I'd still be in the heavens doing Goddess shit, now wouldn't I? See these wings? I made them myself! This is what I got to work with here! These fucking things can't fly! I'm trapped here, and I'm taking it out on anybody who messes with me, or asks stupid questions!"

Edited by Shartnado
  • Haha 1

On 9/15/2022 at 4:46 AM, Casey said:

I'm disgusted that none of you are even mentioning Luigi Primo's AEW debut.

All this nonsense with Punk has been completely corrosive to my interest in AEW, but a gif came across my twitter feed of Bakery Yagi 2k22 getting booted in the face and I'm back on board.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I feel like sound mixing has been a pretty consistent problem for Dynamite.  It has gotten better; at least they don't have the ring mic way in the front of the mix anymore.

I still jumped a bit on Wednesday every time the ring mic would randomly pick up Satnam Singh's otherworldly deep grumblings. 

• Like 1

Getting a nWO B-Team vibe from the Firm.   Actually, that’s not fair.  B-Team had Stevie Ray, who was always entertaining if not good.   Maybe good booking snd Hathaway can heat them up  We’ll see.

What’s the over/under on Morrisey being taken off tv?  He defiinitely looked like he didn’t want to be there and barely interacted with Hathaway.   Not a good sign.  

• Like 2

For the actual thoughts on this week's Dynamite, yeah this was loaded!

Jungle Boy needed this win, good. Lee & Swerve got the biggest possible win before likely dropping their titles next week.

Jericho vs Dragon was once again really good , Sammy vs Mox was decent for what it was next week's finals could really go either way!

Good times, next week should improve from this greatly!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, madl said:

Getting a nWO B-Team vibe from the Firm.   Actually, that’s not fair.  B-Team had Stevie Ray, who was always entertaining if not good.   Maybe good booking snd Hathaway can heat them up  We’ll see.

What’s the over/under on Morrisey being taken off tv?  He defiinitely looked like he didn’t want to be there and barely interacted with Hathaway.   Not a good sign.  

I wonder who our Vincent will be (best worker of the bunch).

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, madl said:

Austin Gunn should start calling people “fruit booty’s…”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I want him to be the Scott Norton. Who's the AEW version of the Cat? Please don't say Danhausen. 

In terms of personality? Stokely, in terms of "Karate Man who does the wrestling"? Malakai Black. I SAID IT

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, madl said:

That looked to me like he was playing a role. He just might not be good at it.

• Like 1