DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/14/2022

The Natural

12 hours ago, southofheavy said:

To me, it sounded like the sound was mixed wrong. The commentary was way too upfront. 

I feel like sound mixing has been a pretty consistent problem for Dynamite.  It has gotten better; at least they don't have the ring mic way in the front of the mix anymore.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

It's a fine line isn't it?

AEW though are so... I want to say 'in the moment' that there's no consideration for something as small as "I shouldn't use springboards & knee strikes after having my leg worked".

Working a body part is to either set up your own finisher, or take away your opponent's offense (or ideally both). One way to sell it is that your opponent still does the offense but it's not as effective. Another is that they overcome the pain/damage temporarily to hit a desperation move. These are sometimes simultaneous. I can agree that one maybe shouldn't hit a clean springboard when selling knee damage, but hitting a seated meteora to me fits into the "desperation move" category, and IIRC it led to a hot tag?

• Like 5

21 hours ago, DEAN said:

Jungle Boy's comeback is so much more interesting after the picture in picture work by Lethal is actually emphasized.  It's a giant element that you miss with your attention being drawn away by Flo from Progressive.

This is such a monkey's paw wish sort of thing.

If the PiP didn't exist, the AEW house style would be chippier and quicker and spottier. There'd be way less heat per match. There'd be less heel control. There'd be less character-driven jawing with the crowd. More of the match would feel like an extended finishing stretch. That's especially true in tags and more and more trios. There'd be noise for the sake of noise.

On the other hand, while it obviously works for the live crowd, most of the people watching on TV live don't get to experience this except for in a tiny box with no crowd noise. The heat's the most important part of any match. It's what raises the tension and creates the drama. Wrestling is all about build and payoff and the build is buried in a tiny box in the corner of the screen.

So it's a dilemma.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, just drew said:

A couple months ago some folks on this site took great offense to my subtle, tactful suggestion that Adam Cole, Kenny & the Jackson’s might not be the draw some would have you believe. I hope this recent run of million+ viewers lets Tony know that the way to go is building around Mox, Danielson, MJF & Jericho. Jungle Boy, Samwise Guevara, SioG, Rick Starks, and others may also be included in this. 

The Bucks at the start were some of the highest drawing parts of the show so I didn't have an issue with seeing them.  And honestly I like all the ones you mentioned warts and all.  But as I mentioned last week it's going to be nice to see others step up and so far it's been quite nice.  The longer this goes it'll make me wonder how life would be like in a post-Elite world but that's assuming they don't leave for elsewhere.

14 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's funny that he'd spend tons of cash just to sit front row and shit on people like that.  On the one hand yeah they got his money so he loses in the end.  But there's a sign check when going in the arena and they should have confiscated it before he got anywhere near his seat.  On top of that he's done stuff like this in the past with the Cornette shirt and dumb signs.  If it was up to me I would either ban him or put him to the hard cam side (which they honestly should have done).

Oh, and @Curt McGirtthe reason they teased Gunther/Sheamus and the commercial was because on commentary they mentioned Gunther didn't want anything to do with Sheamus and tagged out.  So we didn't miss anything and they did fight for a bit towards the end.  I would have just had the tease and fight be shown towards the end but it was still a banger of a match.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

It's funny that he'd spend tons of cash just to sit front row and shit on people like that.  On the one hand yeah they got his money so he loses in the end.  But there's a sign check when going in the arena and they should have confiscated it before he got anywhere near his seat.  On top of that he's done stuff like this in the past with the Cornette shirt and dumb signs.  If it was up to me I would either ban him or put him to the hard cam side (which they honestly should have done).

I just can't wrap my head around people like this sign guy. Like, what's the outcome? You get to be mildly "internet famous"? Some podcast that 10 people listen to shouts you out? You're just annoying people around you. Listen, I'm as bad as anyone about being on my phone too much and stuff like that, but fucking live in the moment, guy. Like @NikoBaltimoresaid there, you paid a lot of money to sit there. Don't be a jackass. I'm not trying to be Internet Tough Guy, but if I pay for tickets to a show and I have my kid with me and some asshole keeps holding up his little inside joke signs in front of us, there's going to be an issue.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Log said:

I just can't wrap my head around people like this sign guy. Like, what's the outcome? You get to be mildly "internet famous"? Some podcast that 10 people listen to shouts you out? You're just annoying people around you. Listen, I'm as bad as anyone about being on my phone too much and stuff like that, but fucking live in the moment, guy. Like @NikoBaltimoresaid there, you paid a lot of money to sit there. Don't be a jackass. I'm not trying to be Internet Tough Guy, but if I pay for tickets to a show and I have my kid with me and some asshole keeps holding up his little inside joke signs in front of us, there's going to be an issue.

There was a guy, hardcam side in the front row, a few months ago on Dynamite who would just hold up some inside bullshit sign every damn time the camera was on him.  It seemed like he had maybe 10-20 different signs.  You'd see him holding his sign, checking his phone, holding a different sign, repeat.  He was working so hard to figure out when the camera was on him so he could diligently hold up some sign that had nothing to do with the show itself.   No way was the guy watching or enjoying the show at all.  His whole reason to be there was just to hold up signs and get that dopamine hit feedback loop from whatever he was looking at online.  Front row seats cost more than my monthly electric bill.  These people are not right in the head.

A few weeks ago a  fan in a ref shirt had a sign that was so big it was tri-folded and, when he opened it, it was easily like 5 feet by 4 feet.  I really hope the people behind him told him to knock that shit off.

As @John from Cincinnati said, just outlaw the signs. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

I don't get Athena whatsoever.

The presentation is all over the place, and generally has been since NXT debut.

There's been vague supernatural elements to the character that have generally fluctuated, but then also she likes to build shit like the wings, which I don't think really look great, or add to the character. Fallen Goddess but again never really build on what that character is, or if there's any form of redemption arc going on, as the name alludes to. The in-ring gear is largely unflattering and again doesn't seem to go with the character she's portraying.

The promos during the Jade program were all over the place with their motivations, and really if you talk that much shit leading up to a high profile match and get squashed, it probably should have lead to a heel turn on Toni at Dynamite.

The in-ring stuff is again all over the shop and probably lacks a definitive style in how she wants to present herself. The psychology is all over the shop, as LWP pointed out with the knee stuff, and often wanting to just get her shit in. Definitely needs to decide whether she's a spot machine high flyer, a powerhouse or Ricky Morton. Instead it's usually all 3 every match and it comes off Brian Cage like.

I think she's definitely still got a bit of a choker tag to her from how NXT booked her before the main roster call up, coming up short against Asuka and so unconvincing against Baszler and crew.

Make her a Baddie and see where it goes.

• Like 4

I struggled with Ember Moon a lot in WWE for some similar reasons, actually. It was never clear who or what she was. It was never clear what made her unique or standout, other than the finisher. This wasn't just on the main roster but in NXT as well. I could have summed up Alexa Bliss or Naomi or Tamina or Nattie in a sentence or two at any point but not really Ember Moon. Which is kind of fine, but I also couldn't do it in two paragraphs.

I am doing better with Athena. She's generally a geek/nerd who creates her own special gear/entrance stuff, talks a big game, doesn't take people's crap, will dropkick the soul out of you, and has the most dangerous finisher in the company.

That said, some of that is me having heard her Unrestricted interview and watching her on Dark/Elevation too, so I don't know how much has been there in the text itself and how much is extraneous stuff or me putting things together in my head.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

Athena is essentially female Brian Cage. A CAW with no psychology, rhyme or reason to anything. Talented though of course.

Gimmick-wise I’d say she’s closer to Shawn Spears. He kind of does the same thing where he’s got a glove (am I dreaming that he wore a glove for a while?), he wears the weird hood thing, he walks really slow to the ring, he orgasms when he hits someone with a chair, he has the whistling psycho music and none of it really fits together. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Log said:

Gimmick-wise I’d say she’s closer to Shawn Spears. He kind of does the same thing where he’s got a glove (am I dreaming that he wore a glove for a while?), he wears the weird hood thing, he walks really slow to the ring, he orgasms when he hits someone with a chair, he has the whistling psycho music and none of it really fits together. 

Shawn Spears character works if you imagine he's MJF's coke dealer

• Like 6
  • Haha 13

I thought Ember Moon was supposed to be a vampire.

i did sort of dig her vaguely Mad Max-ish reboot in NXT.

Agree about her attire.  Feel like she could have a good look but frequently doesn’t.  Often haven’t dug the hair color and attire changes.

She formed a fun team with Shotzi in NXT.  And I don’t dig Shotzi much at all.

3 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

Shawn Spears character works if you imagine he's MJF's coke dealer

I didn't think much of him while he was around but now that he's not on TV I kinda miss Shawn Spears: Chair Pervert.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I didn't think much of him while he was around but now that he's not on TV I kinda miss Shawn Spears: Chair Pervert.

At one point I thought they really needed to do the big beatdown on him (like the NWO on Beefcake), where he comes out happy to join the Firm and MJF just destroys him. But now that we know the deal behind the Firm, I don't know if that really makes sense.

• Like 1

I stand by my prior assessment that Shawn Spears is the perfect First Boss In A Beat-Em-Up and that he has a lot of value in that one, weird role. I miss him, I guess. A spot-on gatekeeper for a main event heel, I don't think any member of The Firm is gonna do a better job of that than Spears (or at least I hope Ethan Page isn't lowered to that level).

I don't know what you do with Athena. Her presentation nebulous at best, certainly less than the sum of its parts and it's a lot of parts. But she can get by on the mic, has a look and can work so I'm fine with her being included in this Smackdown-Six-Style booking of the women's division on Dynamite. Athena/Britt/Hayter/Shida/Deeb/Storm seem to be the core until the picture shifts or Kris & Rosa get back and I'll take it.

• Like 5

Shawn Spears was and always will be better as a comedy wrestler. His best match in AEW was that one where he had Tully's face on his boxers. Tully told him to get serious after that and I was most disappointed. If only IIconics/IInspiration had signed with them back then, we could have a different more entertaining set of AAA intergender champs right now.

• Like 1