DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/14/2022

The Natural

Really interesting numbers in that to me it speaks to just how small the internet/Twitter/smart crowd really is. Amongst that crowd, you would assume that a show (1) with Punk, and/or (2) with all the backstage drama leading into it last week would pop a number.

Instead, Chris Jericho and Bryan Danielson pop a number because, you know, they are (especially Jericho) recognizable stars amongst the masses.

• Like 4

Just now, For Great Justice said:

Really interesting numbers in that to me it speaks to just how small the internet/Twitter/smart crowd really is. Amongst that crowd, you would assume that a show (1) with Punk, and/or (2) with all the backstage drama leading into it last week would pop a number.

Instead, Chris Jericho and Bryan Danielson pop a number because, you know, they are (especially Jericho) recognizable stars amongst the masses.

Or MJF being back on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Infinit said:

A couple months ago some folks on this site took great offense to my subtle, tactful suggestion that Adam Cole, Kenny & the Jackson’s might not be the draw some would have you believe. I hope this recent run of million+ viewers lets Tony know that the way to go is building around Mox, Danielson, MJF & Jericho. Jungle Boy, Samwise Guevara, SioG, Rick Starks, and others may also be included in this. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, just drew said:

A couple months ago some folks on this site took great offense to my subtle, tactful suggestion that Adam Cole, Kenny & the Jackson’s might not be the draw some would have you believe. I hope this recent run of million+ viewers lets Tony know that the way to go is building around Mox, Danielson, MJF & Jericho. Jungle Boy, Samwise Guevara, SioG, Rick Starks, and others may also be included in this. 

What about The Acclaimed? They have slowly risen up the ranks over the years, and now they are like made men. Who knew that guys scissoring each other with their fingers could get so over? They are like one of the true grassroots success stories of this roster, which is more interesting because at one time you thought it would maybe be Private Party after The Bucks put them over clean on the first Dynamite.

• Like 5

Respectfully, anyone attributing rises over the last few weeks to anything other than school being back in session / summer winding down doesn't have a full picture view.

That's neither an argument for or against any of the performers around now or missing now. Just saying kids being back in school, more people being home because of kids in school / weather changing is far more of a likely culprit for the good ratings than any statement that can be made about the internet or casuals or who fans like in general. At least over this short of a time span.

I'm far from an expert. But that seems like the most logical point to take away.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I hate to read too much into ratings, but isn't it something that the PPV where Danielson was expected to debut did a huge buy and now the title tournament he's expected to win is getting bigger weekly numbers...

9-E3-E30-A3-05-A8-41-B9-92-C4-DAE3-E039-

• Like 5
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Respectfully, anyone attributing rises over the last few weeks to anything other than school being back in session / summer winding down doesn't have a full picture view.

That's neither an argument for or against any of the performers around now or missing now. Just saying kids being back in school, more people being home because of kids in school / weather changing is far more of a likely culprit for the good ratings than any statement that can be made about the internet or casuals or who fans like in general. At least over this short of a time span.

I'm far from an expert. But that seems like the most logical point to take away.

If you really want to get analytical here you can compare the previous ratings of Dynamite/Rampage for Sep 19/20/21 to see if its a general rise for end of summer entirely or if there are other factors in play.

I need to see the quarters. Honestly to me, the how slighty wonky the booking is now and changes from real life is why the ratings are up. Chaos over order.

Been quarters sections where the bucks lower ratings. Still ratings and quarters are still somewhat estimations for any tv show. Even if Nielsen adjusted the ways over the years.

Loved the show though two weeks in a row of Sammy literally showing his ass I could have lived without and to my mind he got way too much offense on Mox. Decent enough match. The standout for me was the women's tag with Danielson-Jericho a close second. Also, we now know that Regal once trained with Pai Mei.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What about The Acclaimed? They have slowly risen up the ranks over the years, and now they are like made men. Who knew that guys scissoring each other with their fingers could get so over? They are like one of the true grassroots success stories of this roster, which is more interesting because at one time you thought it would maybe be Private Party after The Bucks put them over clean on the first Dynamite.

I knew I forgot someone. Definitely loop them in, too. Also looks like the women's match held viewers, too. Almost like giving the audience a reason to give a shit pays off...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

If you really want to get analytical here you can compare the previous ratings of Dynamite/Rampage for Sep 19/20/21 to see if its a general rise for end of summer entirely or if there are other factors in play.

Without out doing a deep dive and just going by the post on The Observer, the way it's worded is this was AEW's highest ratings since September 2021. Which at least on the surface level seems the same thing happened in September of last year as well. But that's me doing no heavy lifting at all and just extrapolating a headline so take it with salt and all that lol.

• Like 2

Most of the show felt like a bit of a slog but that main event was some great pro-wrestling.

Great story telling with Jericho just being that step slower, that slight % weaker, that little bit desperate.

Compare that to the women's tag where Athena had her leg worked on to open, then hit a springboard off the second rope and made the hot tag following a Meteora knee strike...

Also was the crowd just not there for this show? Even my wife commented on how quiet the show was compared to normal. Is this an Albany thing liked steamed hams?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Most of the show felt like a bit of a slog but that main event was some great pro-wrestling.

Great story telling with Jericho just being that step slower, that slight % weaker, that little bit desperate.

Compare that to the women's tag where Athena had her leg worked on to open, then hit a springboard off the second rope and made the hot tag following a Meteora knee strike...

Also was the crowd just not there for this show? Even my wife commented on how quiet the show was compared to normal. Is this an Albany thing liked steamed hams?

So one of the things with something like the Athena stuff:

When something like that happens, is it Athena’s fault for not selling? Or is it the opponent’s fault for not thinking in advance about what body part to “injure” when you consider the other person’s moveset? Why try and work on someone’s knee if the face’s offense are things like a springboard or a knee strike?

It feels a lot easier for a heel to attack a limb like a shoulder where you can still do a lot of  nasty work then have a face change their moves? 

11 hours ago, southofheavy said:

To me, it sounded like the sound was mixed wrong. The commentary was way too upfront. 

12 hours ago, L_W_P said:

FWIW, and it's anecdotal, but I remember hearing the same complaint here and elsewhere about the last Dynamite I went to up in Connecticut in February, and while there is some truth to the fact that we were worn out by Garcia/Danielson, I thought we were pretty raucous most of the night compared to what came across watching it back on TV. Ive been to many shows at that building, and Kingston got a pop that was previously only reserved for your Hogan, Flair, or 'Taker types. Maybe we got lucky and just had a rowdy section (shout out to the 'Hey QT! Go fuck yourself!' guy) but all this to say, it could very well be an audio mixing issue.

42 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Why try and work on someone’s knee if the face’s offense are things like a springboard or a knee strike?

Isn't that kayfabe exactly why you would be working on someones knee? It would be wrestling malpractice to ignore Athena's lower limbs. And Athena sold it like a champ until she didn't. I'd agree that it was unnecessary to springboard her way into an armbar but Deeb was seated for the Meteora and Athena even sold that a little bit before she made the tag. None of that took me out of the match any more than Danielson selling 15 unprotected shots to his head by doing push-ups then popping up to his feet.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

So one of the things with something like the Athena stuff:

When something like that happens, is it Athena’s fault for not selling? Or is it the opponent’s fault for not thinking in advance about what body part to “injure” when you consider the other person’s moveset? Why try and work on someone’s knee if the face’s offense are things like a springboard or a knee strike?

It feels a lot easier for a heel to attack a limb like a shoulder where you can still do a lot of  nasty work then have a face change their moves? 

It's a fine line isn't it?

It felt like Deeb/Baker had a run down of the story - Injure Athena as the FIP, hot tag to Storm followed by Baker/Deeb cheating to win and the Hayter spot post match.

I can see a case for what you're saying but, specific to this match, someone as intelligent as Deeb should be working the leg specifically to take away Athena's move-set.

"Grounding the high flyer" isn't a hard concept to grasp but when matches are called on the fly more often than not, it can lead to some weird interactions.

It really goes back to an issue that I think is greater than some wonky spots/selling/logic and that is AEWs continued issues with production and polish.

WWE would book that match to the nth degree and it would feel a little hollow. We could all basically call the spots and theory of the match coming.

AEW though are so... I want to say 'in the moment' that there's no consideration for something as small as "I shouldn't use springboards & knee strikes after having my leg worked".

• Like 2