DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/14/2022

The Natural

17 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I guess that's a bit of a problem they're having right now with the suspensions and the injuries and the booking. They're ending Dark Order, who are also shoot/kayfabe injured. They keep jobbing Best Friends (who again should have won the Trios titles over Death Triangle). ReDragon is no more. Bucks are in the penalty box. Gunns are being rebranded and may have just had every drop of heat lost during a never-ending promo. HoB is adjusting to being a tag team.

I suppose my question is why it had to be a high profile competitive match in the first place. Let SioG dominate, let Lee be the monster that can not be moved.

Oh that's a much better question.

They should've had Hometown (state) Butcher/Blade out there to beat the De Facto Face before they get bested by the real hometown team (NYC Acclaimed)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Oh that's a much better question.

They should've had Hometown (state) Butcher/Blade out there to beat the De Facto Face before they get bested by the real hometown team (NYC Acclaimed)

Right after I posted I saw it mentioned that Butcher and Blade had a match for Dark and I almost edited my comment to add them as the perfect opponents last night. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

God I remember seeing that live. Horrible moment. It was Jose Estrada Jr. that ate the move (had to look it up). Thankfully he recovered to wrestle again after it happened.

That was the only WWF/E show I ever attended!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JLowe said:

Well I didn’t get Mox just beating the smirk out out Sammy, and it was possibly my least favorite Mox match of 2022, but he got the win as expected.

Dean was wise to FFWD through the second half of MJF, it went off the rails, and The Firm was such a convulted explanation that went on forever and lost the crowd (likely at home as well).

Lethal-JB was excellent and probably the best JB match I’ve seen. His strikes were looking good, but I’d like to see him add some new moves.

What was next, the Hobbs squash? My wife was confused about the concept of local jobbers and a squash. Having Ricky come back is cool and all but like I kinda wanted to see Hobbs do something else for a bit.

Not sure why they’re continuing with a Lucha Brothers push when they got the damned trios belts already and there are a dozen other tag teams who could use a boost. Lee as FIP was different, and while taking the Canadian Destroyer was damned impressive, save that shit for a shock pin rather than a kick out. I don’t know, it was a fine match and Lee’s jackhammer was nasty but why have this now? I guess I’m just salty because I’m so so very tired of Penta.

Women’s tag was really great, Deeb and Athena matched really well. Athena has some strange style moves ala Swerve, and is so clearly a better wrestler than the rest of the division. Not sure where all this is going and the whole Hayter thing was weird.

Main was leaps and bounds above the PPV match, i could even say MOTYC. Jericho is having a career year and tonight he took a hellacious beating, looks like he spilled an entire jug of wine on his chest. Danielson is Danielson and delivered a hellacious beating before shifting into story mode centered around his leg and wrestling half the match without a shoe. Nasty looking submissions, both guys looking like they were about to break with Danielson finding that one last push to victory.

The backstage stuff was very tight, set up the show, Rampage, and more excitement for next week. Very well paced for once!

Has anyone had more career years than Chris Jericho? It is just absolutely ridiculous how many times and ways he makes himself compelling. Just about every time I am done being interested in him he figures something else out. Sometimes it does not work - The Painmaker - but more often than not he sticks the landing. 

Between his constant character work, decades long history of high-end matches, etc. — I am not saying that I think he is the greatest of all time, but I am not not saying it either.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Has anyone had more career years than Chris Jericho? It is just absolutely ridiculous how many times and ways he makes himself compelling. Just about every time I am done being interested in him he figures something else out. Sometimes it does not work - The Painmaker - but more often than not he sticks the landing. 

Between his constant character work, decades long history of high-end matches, etc. — I am not saying that I think he is the greatest of all time, but I am not not saying it either.

The way Chris Jericho changes is his biggest strength: Lionheart to the WCW Monday Night Jericho in 1998, Y2J, wearing suits for promos and changing to trunks in 2008, the List of Jericho in 2016-2017, the Painmaker and Le Champion in AEW.

• Like 2

I’m not saying you want Jericho as your lead booker, but you definitely want him on the booking committee. He does an excellent job being proactive and having his finger on the pulse of the audience. The recent stage show in Glasgow that they uploaded to his pod was a good look into his process. 

He’s really good at dropping his misses quickly (see: “GFY” being the drizzling shits) and running with what the audience reacts to.

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 5

Yeah, but on the other hand, one of his ideas was for Kingston to beat him at Revolution and then they become a tag team. Luckily TK no sold that idea because it fuckin' sucks.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Just now, Casey said:

Yeah, but on the other hand, one of his ideas was for Kingston to beat him at Revolution and then they become a tag team. Luckily TK no sold that idea because it fuckin' sucks.

Oh yeah that sucks. As did going back to the top of the cage at B&G 2 (another Jericho thing).

Both aren’t as bad as Jim Ross’s big idea for the Rock’s return match being a mixed tag with his daughter instead of Roman for the title, but they aren’t good.

I'd say Jericho's understanding of the business is among the best of all time. He also has self-awareness which is extremely rare among top guys and the confidence to stand up for himself and pitch his own ideas. He knows when he's lagging behind and always makes the right adjustments to stay fresh. He isn't as athletically gifted as many of his peers, but he knows how to maximize what he has in the ring while using his promos and character work to keep fans engaged.

• Like 9

THURSDAY REFLECTIONS:  Ah sweet sweet INTERNATIONAL FEED.  I love how MOX sells suddenly ass stomper Sammy.  Sammy as Pretty boy With A Mean Streak is pretty great.  He is a New Fabulous One.  Sammy should have bled just to be hardcore.  Hell, Tay would has done it before.  Sammy has good punches.  He should develop a big gut and abandon the highflying all together.  Sammy needs to feud with Brodie King or EDDIE KINGSTON to build off this new offense.  Sammy is great taking MOX's offense.  Sammy should actually follow Chris Jericho's career trajectory-  start as a junior highflier, develop into a US Main Event style, extend your career with becoming more hardcore, have a late career resurgence because you know how to do a US Main Event match.  Not a bad plan and it will work for twenty five years.  Tay and Sammy's reaction to MOX kicking out after the low blow was PURE professional wrestling.  I noticed that MOX goes COMPLETELY BattlARTS right before the finish- where Sammy tries to go back to his flamboyant roots and Mox counters it all and crushes him.  I'm excited about the new Sammy. Hell, Sammy versus Daniel Garcia would be fun.  FOR THE STRAP!  I can skip the talking!  I'm wondering if Jungle Boy will use the lower back tape like DDP used the tape around his ribs- a vehicle to set up every match going forward with Jungle Boy selling his lower back.  Jay Lethal is a great pro wrestler and gets across the story of working the back and the commentary gets it over the second they go to picture in picture, which seems a little self-defeating.  Jay Lethal is great crushing the lower back of JB,  Lethal also has really great punches.  God bless the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  Lethal if fucking great working the lower back , he is Ole Anderson.  Jungle Boy's comeback is so much more interesting after the picture in picture work by Lethal is actually emphasized.  It's a giant element that you miss with your attention being drawn away by Flo from Progressive.  Man, Lethal is so fucking good.  I loved the backbreaker into the tope into the Toprope Elbow.  What a fucking great professional wrestler.  I'm SURE that Jay Lethal showed Jungle Boy how to counter the Figure Four by rolling into the Snaretrap.  That was fucking great.  Ethan Page kicking the pizza guy is a welcome return of Angry Stepdad Ethan Page!  I love how the Lucha Brothers are an ode to 1997 WCW Lucha Libre.  Whereas Rush and Andrade are actual spirit of Lucha Libre.  Both pump out gret matches but the L:ucha Brothers having bigger crowd-pleasing spots,  Shane Strickland is the American version of Ares which is why he is so good working with Fenix and Penta.  Actually, with the elaborate set-up of the Swerve rana out of the corner with Rey Fenix,  it makes one wonder if Strickland isn't secretly a luchadore.  Strickland is so fucking smooth in the ring and such a great rudo!  Fuck, he should join Rush and Andrade if he and Lee turn on each other.  Which is looking less and less a possibility since they are having such fucking great matches as a tag team.  OOP!  Gotta make lunch for myself an d the youngest son. More later.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Was I delusional or did Taz preemptively refer to Moxley more than once as a "three time AEW champion"?

He mightve slipped with saying AEW but he is a 3 time world champion, they definitely mentioned that fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Jay Lethal is a great pro wrestler and gets across the story of working the back and the commentary gets it over the second they go to picture in picture, which seems a little self-defeating.  Jay Lethal is great crushing the lower back of JB,  Lethal also has really great punches.  God bless the INTERNATIONAL FEED.  Lethal if fucking great working the lower back , he is Ole Anderson.  Jungle Boy's comeback is so much more interesting after the picture in picture work by Lethal is actually emphasized.  It's a giant element that you miss with your attention being drawn away by Flo from Progressive.  Man, Lethal is so fucking good.  I loved the backbreaker into the tope into the Toprope Elbow.  What a fucking great professional wrestler.  I'm SURE that Jay Lethal showed Jungle Boy how to counter the Figure Four by rolling into the Snaretrap.  That was fucking great. 

Lethal is always slick as fuck! And it's great to see yr Championing of his tremendous weekly work. T-Barr er T-Khan and associates' work of assembling this incredible JTTS roster feels equally as overlooked as Jay Lethal's fantastic 2022 campaign.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'd say Jericho's understanding of the business is among the best of all time. He also has self-awareness which is extremely rare among top guys and the confidence to stand up for himself and pitch his own ideas. He knows when he's lagging behind and always makes the right adjustments to stay fresh. He isn't as athletically gifted as many of his peers, but he knows how to maximize what he has in the ring while using his promos and character work to keep fans engaged.

I agree with all of that and would add that he also knows when to "show ass". He's not afraid to put others over, but also doesn't seem to be the type to do that too much and really hurt his value.

• Like 4

THURSDAY REFLECTION PART 2:   (My son wanted to talk about football and Doug Flutie for an hour and half so here we are so magic moments with my children always take precedent to everything else.  At least he isn't talking to me about modern music.)   Tony Schiavonne, TAZ and Excalibur discussing the perinium and where the spine starts is so the greatest reason for the existence of the INTERNATIONAL FEED.   Swerve is AWESOME in picture in picture trolling Penta while beating heat onto Fenix.  Man, International Feed is so much better than the picture in picture version of a really good wrestling show.  It kind of makes it a REALLY good wrestling show.  Man, Keith Lee is secret superstar of this episode of Dynamite.  It's amazing how molten the crowd was for the post-Canadian Destroyer nearfall was.   Shane Strickland is so much cooler than Max Caster.  Man, The Acclaimed as champions will be such a step down from Swerve and Lee.  Swerve Strickland is such a great tagteam wrestler and Keith Lee is the best Robert Gibson EVER.  But OVER is OVER.  Who was it that noticed that Serena Deeb smiles the entire time she is on TV?  That's weird but true.  It must the joy and love of pro wrestling.  I'm guessing Toni Storm versus Jamie Hayter is what they focusing on, with Baker screwing up her title match somehow.  But I don't know, if the Acclaimed are enough to get the tag titles it would follow that Hayter being the most over should get the women's title.  Athena being the best in-ring person in AEW makes me want to see Hayter vs Athena.  They really need tag titles to give us a second thing for the ladies to fight over since they have pretty much given up on the TBS title.  During picture in picture, Baker is awesome beating on Athena who is great selling the wrenched leg that Deeb ruined.  International Feed gives us such a great layer to this match- especially getting Baker over as good heel and also making Storm's hot tag be more important.  You lose all of Athena's great selling of the knee and Baker working on it.  Man, Athena and Deeb are so fucking good.  You have to go to Stardom and Sendai Girls to find wrestlers who are better in the ring.  Athena would be the third-ish best wrestler in Stardom.  Postmatch, Athena makes Bakers stomp look totally fucking deadly.  Hayter is becoming the Jon Moxley of the  Women's division- like right before Moxley went to rehab and he was a total ass kicking tweener.  She is so ready to take the strap and hopefully it will be against Toni Storm.  Or Athena.  Or Serena Deeb.  Or Britt Baker.  You really can't lose with this division right now.  I assume Thunder Rosa comes back,  loses to unify the world title and then beats Jade Cargill to get the TBS title.  Jericho and Danielson is going to be great whether you have picture in picture or not.  Danielson is like Bret Hart in that he isn't ACTUALLY the best technical wrestler on earth, as I wonder how good his match with Zack Sabre Jr would actually be from a move versus move standpoint, but Danielson and Hart were fucking UNTOUCHABLE in US main event style wrestling.  Jericho is fucking great at US main event style wrestling so this isn't like Hart versus Kevin Nash or something.  Jericho does a great Psicosis Bump to the ringpost while in picture in picture, which is something big that is lost.  Jericho going 1997 WCW with the toprope Frankenstiener after the Psicosis Bump is a fun bit of calling back to his younger days.  I LOVE the story being that Jericho cannot hang with Danielson in the ring and Jericho admits it during the match and THEN Jericho catches a break when Danielson ruins his ankle because Jericho just hangs around and doesn't lose until then.  So fucking GREAT.  Jericho's facial expressions to show that he can't win to showing that "WHAT THE FUCK?  I CAN WIN THIS NOW!"  is Lord Regal-level facial expression story telling.  So FUCKING GOOD.  Jericho is so fucking good in this.  It's so weird that this match which was thrown together because their champion got in a fist fight backstage a two weeks ago, is THIS GOOD is a testament to the RIDICULOUS depth of the AEW roster.  Talk about a bunch of guys stepping up to the plate when the company needs them.  Fucking beautiful.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Storm vs Deeb could really good. And something different. 

This is perhaps a bold statement, but I think that's got potential to be a legit all-time great US women's match. As a matter of personal taste, I think both ladies are the best AEW has to offer (along with Hayter and Shida) so needless to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

• Like 7

Since Dean brought it up, I just realized that Athena just went from losing to Jade for the TBS title at the PPV to being moved into the Women's title picture and a shot at the title at Grand Slam. I'm glad for her.

They really really need to find a way to end Jade's streak so they can have something interesting happening there, it's practically the FTW Women's title at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DEAN said:

Jay Lethal is a great pro wrestler and gets across the story of working the back and the commentary gets it over the second they go to picture in picture, which seems a little self-defeating.

It can't possibly be as bad as the Imperium/Brawling Brutes match last week where GUNTHER and Sheamus get in the ring together to a big pop... only for the commercial break to start immediately ?

• Like 1