DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 9/14/2022

The Natural

Sammy reminds the haters what he has to offer. No surprise that he and Mox would mesh well. Ha, Dean makes the great call comparing this MJF promo to the mighty long Edge fair on Raw. MJF has great delivery, but his material, as illustrated here, often doesn't meet that skillset. The Stokely follow-up was awkward at best, or flat out terrible at worst. Ha, was W Morrissey legit reacting to how bad that all was? Why do I find Ethan Page focusing in on the PRESTIGIOUS 'All Atlantic' title mildly hilarious? I do like the idea of a Page-Pac bout. A lot of overlooked details and poor choices with the talk segments this week (and a little too often lately). JB-Lethal was all pro top notch wrestling! The Tag Title bout suggests Swerve-Lee are a great team capable of having great matches with lots of differnent opponents. Penta's Destroyer on Big Keith was the highlight of the week. I was ready for the Women's Tag to rule and it did. Toni seems to be a bit underrated by some. The Doctor's been looking good in these tags. I think this is her calling. If yr gonna have a Hobbs squash make it cruel and memorable. I'm a Starks fan, but the corny Rock eyebrow is too much. This feud feels a bit flat. I can't help but think these two were better together. Is there any way that's not terrible to book a tough love truce here? Bryan Danielson and a game Chris Jericho equals fantastic TV wrestling. Much stronger than their crammed inbetween too much other quality stuff PPV bout. Mox-Danielson, sure, let's have at it! I love the idea of the best wrestler as the World Champion. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Halfway through Danielson/Jericho, I just found myself thinking how cool it is that we get THIS for free on TV every week.  That was such an amazing match and what better way to get away from all this drama and bullshit than to have Danielson vs Moxley, straight up match, no bullshit, for the title.  Awesome.

Sammy is the definition of a guy they picked up at the start of the company to fill a spot because the pickins were slim. I mean he's no Jimmy Havoc or anything, but still.  He hasn't gotten any better and is just out there adding unnecessary flips and bullshit to everything.  He's lucky he hit on a hot angle with Tay and with being generally unlikable because he's seriously not that good.  Check out the spot on the apron where Mox tries to jump off the apron and ram Sammy's head into it.  Sammy does an unnecessary flip and damn near 12-to-6 kicks Moxley in the head.  All I could think about was the Boriqua whose neck Edge broke in his debut by his foot coming straight down on his head like that on a flip dive.

Also, Sammy's new tights have got to go.

They did promos before matches the promo wrestler was going to be in a few times here and that's really cool.

MJF continues to be horrible on heel promos.  He's just a guy playing pro wrestler.  Come to the the ring yelling at [INSERT CITY NAME], get in the ring and yell more about [INSERT CITY NAME], get into your actual promo but incorporate insults about [INSERT CITY NAME], promo for a bit, but then stop in your tracks to insult [INSERT CITY NAME].  You know how inexperienced wrestlers will go right to highspots if they lose the crowd?  This is the verbal equivalent of that, like MJF is deathly afraid of the crowd quieting down, so he just goes back to hacky bullshit.  It's cheap and lame.  Oh, and then he goes in on insulting Moxley's addiction.  And then gets all angry and screams into the camera.  This is what happens when you shoot for "Piper in Portland" but land on "Bubba Ray in Philadelphia."  

That womens tag was GREAT!  And I really like how they're portraying Hayter.  Just because she has a problem with Baker doesn't mean she's magically on Toni Storm's side.  It's not like Steamboat teaming at Survivor Series 1987 with two guys who tried to murder him because hey, we're all good guys now!

So The Firm is a stable that goes their separate ways and does their own things, but comes together when they're needed?  They're like The Avengers!  If the Avengers were Paste Pot Pete, Jubilee, Longshot, Dr. Bong, and Power Pack.  I know wrestling has a storied history of JTTS heel stables, cannon fodder for babyfaces, from Paul Jones' Army to The Dungeon of Doom, but don't we already have The Factory for that?

Also, is it time to cut bait on Ethan Page?  He's now something like three stables in and he's still just the same generic guy who really really idolized The Rock.  Give him the All Atlantic title and let him bore singing brits instead of me, thanks.

If you have to tread water for 6-9 months with Jungle Boy, putting him in good matches where he beats guys like Jay Lethal isn't the worst idea.

Don't know about the decision to beat the Lucha Brothers on their first show after winning the trios belts.  Was there nobody else who could have done job duty to heat up Swerve & Lee for next week?  

LORD REGAL, HOW DO YOU TRAIN FOR THAT!?  "Well there is a technique for pulling them back up into yourself..."  I died.

Everybody's talking about the goof with the Punk sign, but give some love to "Albannny loves The Acclaimed."  I, too, wasn't 100% on how many Ns are in Albany at first, but, fuck, I know it's not three.

I liked The Firm's "Deep Cover" knockoff.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Halfway through Danielson/Jericho, I just found myself thinking how cool it is that we get THIS for free on TV every week.  That was such an amazing match and what better way to get away from all this drama and bullshit than to have Danielson vs Moxley, straight up match, no bullshit, for the title.  Awesome.

Sammy is the definition of a guy they picked up at the start of the company to fill a spot because the pickins were slim. I mean he's no Jimmy Havoc or anything, but still.  He hasn't gotten any better and is just out there adding unnecessary flips and bullshit to everything.  He's lucky he hit on a hot angle with Tay and with being generally unlikable because he's seriously not that good.  Check out the spot on the apron where Mox tries to jump off the apron and ram Sammy's head into it.  Sammy does an unnecessary flip and damn near kicks Moxley in the head.  All I could think about was the Boriqua whose neck Edge broke in his debut by his foot coming straight down on his neck on a flip dive.

Also, Sammy's new tights have got to go.

They did promos before matches featuring the promo wrestler a few times here and that's really cool.

MJF continues to be horrible on heel promos.  He's just a guy playing pro wrestler.  Come to the the ring yelling at [INSERT CITY NAME], get in the ring and yell more about [INSERT CITY NAME], get into your actual promo but incorporate insults about [INSERT CITY NAME], promo for a bit, but then stop in your tracks to insult [INSERT CITY NAME].  You know how inexperienced wrestlers will go right to highspots if they lose the crowd?  This is the verbal equivalent of that.  It's cheap and lame.  Oh, and then he goes in on insulting Moxley's addiction.  This is what happens when you shoot for "Piper in Portland" but land on "Bubba Ray in Philadelphia."  

That womens tag was GREAT!  And I really like how they're portraying Hayter.  Just because she has a problem with Baker doesn't mean she's magically on Toni Storm's side.  It's not like Steamboat teaming at Survivor Series 1987 with two guys who tried to murder him because hey, we're all good guys now!

So The Firm is a stable that goes their separate ways and does their own things, but comes together when they're needed?  They're like The Avengers!  If the Avengers were Paste Pot Pete, Jubilee, Longshot, Dr. Bong, and Power Pack.  I know wrestling has a storied history of JTTS heel stables, cannon fodder for babyfaces, from Paul Jones' Army to The Dungeon of Doom, but don't we already have The Factory for that?

Also, is it time to cut bait on Ethan Page?  He's now something like three stables in and he's still just the same generic guy who really really idolized The Rock.  Give him the All Atlantic title and let him bore singing brits instead of me, thanks.

If you have to tread water for 6-9 months with Jungle Boy, putting him in good matches where he beats guys like Jay Lethal isn't the worst idea.

Don't know about the decision to beat the Lucha Brothers on their first show after winning the trios belts.  Was there nobody else who could have done job duty to heat up Swerve & Lee for next week?  

LORD REGAL, HOW DO YOU TRAIN FOR THAT!?  "Well there is a technique for pulling them back up into yourself..."  I died.

Everybody's talking about the goof with the Punk sign, but give some love to "Albannny loves The Acclaimed."  I, too, wasn't 100% on how many Ns are in Albany at first, but, fuck, I know it's not three.

I liked The Firm's "Deep Cover" knockoff.

Strick Lee Business beating Penta/Fenix adds to the prestige when The Acclaimed beat them tomorrow.

By transitive property, that means The Acclaimed could beat The Luchas, so Death Triangle be on notice when The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass come for the Trios belts.

(Also imagine Pac vs Billy Gunn)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Strick Lee Business beating Penta/Fenix adds to the prestige when The Acclaimed beat them tomorrow.

By transitive property, that means The Acclaimed could beat The Luchas, so Death Triangle be on notice when The Acclaimed and Daddy Ass come for the Trios belts.

(Also imagine Pac vs Billy Gunn)

I get all that but still, that's like jobbing Wardlow to Punk the week after he won the TNT title.

• Like 1

Can't wait for Bryan Danielson vs. Jon Moxley at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam 2022. The match they had at Revolution 2022, 6th March on my Birthday needs talking up more. A MOTYC. I think it's Jon's best ever singles match though I know some would argue the Wheeler Yuta bout instead. Here's hoping the American Dragon and Mox can top the Revolution 2022 match.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I get all that but still, that's like jobbing Wardlow to Punk the week after he won the TNT title.

If ever there was a time for them to lose and not lose the luster it was now.

They are a trio champ, strength in threes. They only had two! And if they won, they would also be double champs so the stakes are high.

Plus is there a higher profile tag win you could give Swerve/Lee that wouldn't be an obvious conclusion that they would be winning?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MKERyan said:

If we wanna complain about new champs taking an unnecessary loss, I had more of a problem with Toni Storm eating the pin in the women’s tag.

I get they don't want Athena to be completely washed after losing to Jade but frankly she didn't need to be Toni's partner last night if they were taking the loss.

• Like 1

I  caught maybe 2/3rds of the show.

• Best part I saw of Sammy vs Mox was Mox getting kayfabe annoyed at Bryce post-match for missing the low blow.
  • I liked some of the counter-work between Lethal and Jungle Boy. JB needed a win over a mid-carder and that's why Lethal is there. I really like Satnam on the entrance with the shrug of "Okay, I'll be in the middle," and how into the unified handraising they all are. Someday I'm going to spend all of my time just writing about how wrestlers as characters interact with one another. That's what I'll do when I'm like DEAN and retired and a decade and a half. I'll have a blog just breaking down random tags and six man matches with unusual partners and how everyone interacts. It'll be the least workrate-y analysis of wrestling ever.
  • The Stoke stuff sort of took forever and probably should have happened last week or over the span of two weeks if not for issues. So the deal is that he's blackmailing Cass? 
  • I'm excited for Page to win the All Atlantic title in Canada. He's going to be super over. 
  • I liked the tag match fine. It didn't wear out its welcome and Lee looked great in it. He came off as such a force just driving Fenix back into the corner, for instance. It's funny they didn't have Caster rap this week either. Very much building to next week's rap.
  • I vaguely know Cassidy and PAC have history but it was still jarring to see him do a backstage attack for no reason.
  • Women's tag was very good. Deeb matched up well with everyone. I thought Deeb and Baker worked well together. Honestly, most weeks Deeb just seems so happy to be there while still absolutely being a malicious heel. Lots of smiling. Lots of stomping and stretching. Athena was such a great pick up for them. Storm was such a great pick up for them. Hayter basking in the chants at the end was a nice moment too.
  • The show is so much better without the Elite. Sorry.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So, assuming we are getting Danielson/MJF after Grand Slam, I have some concerns.

While you would hope they could recreate some of that Danielson/Miz magic, that’s exactly why I’m concerned. The pro wrestling world will spend weeks/months comparing the program to that one, and that is going to suck for those invoked (MJF in particular). If you are tying to silence any Great Value Miz vibes, this is the worst thing to do.

Like, I definitely don’t want to see MJF/Mox run it back, and I don’t want to see Danielson/MJF either. So this kinda sucks.

Edited by For Great Justice

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

FcqUvjmWQAA4PH0?format=jpg&name=large

FcqU22OXgAANMmV?format=png&name=900x900

Bryan Danielson in the biggest match at AEW Dynamite Grand Slam two years running.

just might be the best birthday present two years running ?

Last year we got that amazing fucking card on the big day, and now this year a day early we're getting this fucking card ? tysm AEW

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm disgusted that none of you are even mentioning Luigi Primo's AEW debut.

Do you think the person who used to wrestle which playing his Nintendo Switch during the match a year or so ago  is really pissed off that Tony Khan didn't that twitter reaction.   

1 hour ago, MKERyan said:

If we wanna complain about new champs taking an unnecessary loss, I had more of a problem with Toni Storm eating the pin in the women’s tag.

I liked it - it was a bit of WWE booking as Deeb got the pin with help from Baker. Those two can argue who actually did the work, plus Hayter comes in at the end. Storm vs Deeb could really good. And something different. 

• Like 3

I liked the Stokely stuff in theory, with the whole "stable on retainer" and explaining everybody's motivations, but it really dragged, particularly coming after the also-too-long MJF promo.  I did get a little giggle out of Morrissey no-selling his hug.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, porksweats said:

Plus is there a higher profile tag win you could give Swerve/Lee that wouldn't be an obvious conclusion that they would be winning?

I guess that's a bit of a problem they're having right now with the suspensions and the injuries and the booking. They're ending Dark Order, who are also shoot/kayfabe injured. They keep jobbing Best Friends (who again should have won the Trios titles over Death Triangle). ReDragon is no more. Bucks are in the penalty box. Gunns are being rebranded and may have just had every drop of heat lost during a never-ending promo. HoB is adjusting to being a tag team.

I suppose my question is why it had to be a high profile competitive match in the first place. Let SioG dominate, let Lee be the monster that can not be moved.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

All I could think about was the Boriqua whose neck Edge broke in his debut by his foot coming straight down on his head like that on a flip dive.

God I remember seeing that live. Horrible moment. It was Jose Estrada Jr. that ate the move (had to look it up). Thankfully he recovered to wrestle again after it happened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1