DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAAF - WEEK THREE

RIPPA

Starting the new week a touch early with the news that GameDay will going to Boone, NC for Troy/App State

Rece Davis flat out said they had planned on going to College Station for Miami/A&M

So not only did App State win, they took the Aggies GameDay visit

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be completely fair...  Boone, NC > College Station, TX.  

(If and when pot gets legalized in North Carolina, that city is going to fucking explode.)

I love Asheville, and I am looking forward to going back next month, so I agree with the above statement.

I'm going to be in the loveliest village on Saturday both happy to be back but also annoyed that the Penn State game is going to be a 2:30 kick and not a night game in Jordan Hare.

Stadium is going to have to bring all of the energy because this team is a bit rough to watch through two games. 

Notre Dame's Tyler Buchner injury is a "high-grade AC joint sprain in his non-throwing shoulder" and he is having surgery tomorrow

Since the recovery time is 4 months, he will miss the rest of the season

Drew Pyne is officially the new starter

• Haha 1

I mentioned in week 2 thread but Quinn Ewers is out at least 4 weeks with a shoulder injury, potentially back for the Red River shootout. Hudson Card has something with his ankle but is going to try and practice this week. If not, UT will be down to third string QB Charles Wright, true freshman Maalik Murphy, and likely a healthy dose of Roschon Johnson running wildcat. FYI Wright was committed to Iowa State so he was considered a P5-level prospect.

Bijan Robinson is also getting an MRI on his shoulder and may not play against UTSA unless things get bad with the QB situation. Honestly, UT is really deep at RB, redshirt freshman and third/fourth stringer Jonathon Brooks would likely start for a number of teams.

Edited by JLowe

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To be completely fair...  Boone, NC > College Station, TX.  

(If and when pot gets legalized in North Carolina, that city is going to fucking explode.)

Which makes the Texas A&M pep rally they did on Thursday or Friday night so bat shit stupid.   Listen I have never been to Boone NC but I have a hard time believing they are that bad because if you watch the clip you would think the game was being played in 1939.   And to make it even funnier is that your head coach was born in Clarksburg West Virginia which is probably closer to your Appalachian stereotype that you think.   Sure he loved that shit.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

I mentioned in week 2 thread but Quinn Ewers is out at least 4 weeks with a shoulder injury, potentially back for the Red River shootout. 

This really is a shame. He looked like a Heisman winner for about 12 minutes on Saturday. I think Texas wins that game if he doesn't get hurt. 

• Like 2

After a fantastic opening two weeks, CFB week 3 is looking pretty soft.

PSU/Auburn and Miami/TA&M are the only non-con games of national interest, and obviously the latter lost a lot of its luster after A&M loss to App. Likewise, BYU coming off a big upset of Baylor and heading to Oregon would feel like a bigger deal if the Ducks hadn’t face-planted against Georgia in week 1.

Other than that, you have a couple of Morbid Curiosity games in Oklahoma/Nebraska and Cal/ND, as we now see just how low the Huskers and the Irish can sink.

UTSA @ Texas could be interesting, but it’s on a channel a lot of people don’t get. The Roadrunners are feisty and Texas is banged up and “getting beat by Bama twice” is considered a very real phenomenon in coaching circles. Could be closer than you might expect! Would actually be a really good sign for Texas if they just handled UTSA.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 2:25 PM, hammerva said:

Which makes the Texas A&M pep rally they did on Thursday or Friday night so bat shit stupid.   Listen I have never been to Boone NC but I have a hard time believing they are that bad because if you watch the clip you would think the game was being played in 1939.   And to make it even funnier is that your head coach was born in Clarksburg West Virginia which is probably closer to your Appalachian stereotype that you think.   Sure he loved that shit.   

And to make it worse, A&M is now actively issuing DMCA complaints to get all the clips of that rally pulled. Bad enough they pay out $1.5 million to get chumped by App, then they expose themselves as giant pussies who can punch down till the cows come home but can't take a single shot back without crying foul... now they Streisand themselves to world at large.

• Like 1

Two high-profile nonconference series have been scuttled because of the impending departure of Oklahoma and Texas to the SEC, which is scheduled for 2025.

The SEC announced Wednesday that it "directed" Georgia and Tennessee to "postpone" scheduled games with Oklahoma because the Sooners are on their way to the SEC.

The SEC's reasoning is that the second game in each series was to "take place after Oklahoma joins the SEC in 2025." That led the SEC to nix Georgia's game at Oklahoma next season and Oklahoma's game at Tennessee in 2024.

Georgia was scheduled to go to Oklahoma in 2031, and the makeup of the 2020 game with Tennessee that was scheduled for Norman had not yet set a makeup date. But since it was expected to be after 2025, the SEC decided to wipe away both series.

The timing of when Oklahoma and Texas end up in the SEC has been the subject of much speculation since it was announced in the summer of 2021 that they were joining the league. That left both schools with four remaining seasons in the Big 12, which is an eternity considering how much unrest their departure has caused the league.

An early departure would be subject to both a significant exit fee, expected to be roughly $80 million, and the violation of a grant of rights agreement, which is why both schools and the SEC have been cautious in addressing a potential early departure.

Both Oklahoma and Georgia have filled the Sept. 9 spot in their schedules. Oklahoma announced it will play SMU on that day and play a return game in Dallas in 2027. Georgia filled the scheduling hole on Sept. 9 of next season with a game against Ball State.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oklahoma going to SMU is a fairly interesting development.

No way in hell they'd play that game at SMU's tiny stadium. SMU would go old-school Pony Express and play in Arlington.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

A&M is going to Max Johnson at QB for Saturday's game against Miami

They had to, King was epically awful against App State and (not that it should matter) has been getting roasted online all week for his stat line and general play. Weigman is their most talented QB but apparently Jimbo's playbook is so complicated (how hard to hand off 40 times and then dump to RBs and TEs) that they're afraid to rush him. Then again, Johnson is also allegedly struggling with the playbook.

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Weigman is their most talented QB but apparently Jimbo's playbook is so complicated (how hard to hand off 40 times and then dump to RBs and TEs) that they're afraid to rush him.

Let's see YOU map out how to miss all those blocks along the OL, Mr Smart Guy.  It takes work to not account for multiple DL on every play.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34600810/the-ballad-sir-big-spur-south-carolina-strange-true-tale-live-mascot-handler-feud

The whole story is wild but of course this is all we care about

His demand was simple. Until he saw a rooster without a comb strutting around Columbia, he was holding on to the name Sir Big Spur, which was well within his legal rights as of Aug. 1, 2022.

The University of South Carolina opened the coop gate to new nickname ideas. Its list was an internal one, and after much debate, university officials believed they had a suitable replacement. The problem was, the people had other ideas.

-----------

So, he assigned a recap of the Sir Big Spur controversy to the newest member of The State's sports department. Jeremiah Holloway had just graduated from the other Carolina, the University of North Carolina, and he dutifully knocked out a 300-word refresher on the name mess.

And then he added an online poll.

It seemed innocent enough. "What new name should USC give the live mascot rooster?"

"We threw it out in the newsroom for ideas, and some good ones came back," McLemore said. "We've all been around South Carolina long enough to know that sometimes you're going to get some inappropriate ideas with Gamecocks. That just comes with the territory. Always has.

Then Sarah Ellis suggested "Cock Commander."

-------------

Just as it was too late to stop the Cock Commander in 2004, it was too late to stop him in 2022.

"Honestly, the first 24 hours or so, it was pretty tame," Holloway said. "But then the poll was picked up by some national college football writers and they posted it because of Cock Commander. Because I had written the story with the poll, I was copied on Twitter. I knew just based on what I saw because of that, it was getting a lot of attention."

A lot of attention, as in 18,869 votes. That's a lot for an online newspaper sports poll. A whopping 78% of those votes -- 14,760 in all -- went for Cock Commander. The next closest was Cluck Norris with 7% , 1,408 votes. None of the other nine options (Marco Pollo, Cock-a-doodle-dude, Brooster, etc.) came close to a thousand votes.

"You spend your whole life around this school like I have and you get accustomed to the snickers about the nickname," Cloninger said of the skyrocketing poll. "I mean, the campus bookstore has always had hats and shirts with 'Go Cocks' and always will. But when the nation gets hold of it and the jokes start, it's going to take off."

The phone started ringing in the athletic department. Some called to endorse the name. They had to be told that the poll was not affiliated with the university. Others, people of much more importance to the school, called to express their embarrassment and wanted to know what was being done to make it go away. They were told that a savior was on the way, arriving by way of a news release ... and horseback.

If you’re looking for more SUNBEAST upsets this weekend, keep an eye on the scores* for Old Dominion@Virginia and South Alabama@UCLA.

*I say watch the scores because both of those games are on conference networks that don’t have great coverage, especially the PAC-12 network. Most of us probably won’t be able to watch them live, which does suck some of the fun out of it.

I realize I should swear off the Aggies forever after last week, but…I think I like A&M over Miami tonight? Like, if you can’t pick yourself up off the mat and get locked in to win a big home night game, you might as well forfeit the rest of the season and just start focusing on 2023. They gotta win.

• Like 1