DVDVR Message Board

WWE TV - 9/12 - 9/18/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Extreme Rules is coming up in a few weeks, we'll probably get a few more matches this week.  

Hey, they could do worse than throwing Sheamus out there to beat up Roman and eat a pin....

Tonight!   This man returns to a Raw ring for the first time in 3 years...

(I mean Johnny, not the kid.)

Hey, they could do worse than throwing Sheamus out there to beat up Roman and eat a pin....

For what it is worth - Roman isn't working Extreme Rules

His next PPV is Crown Jewel

EDIT - I should note that Meltzer said Crown Jewel match won't be against Rollins or KO so technically Sheamus could end up being the option (since I doubt they want him beating Drew again)

I kind of loved Dom/Edge. That was a great match in a good ridiculous wrestling family betrayal soap opera. I loved Dom being overmatched and Rhea just looking like she has a giant headache from trying to get this dweeb to do anything right. Dom was great doing the Eddie tributes and I loved his frog splash. Good story with Dom getting a surprise dodge of The Spear and hurting Edge in the crab. Loved it that Eege was about to end Dom when it became the shmoz soap opera.

Finn-led Judgment Day has really found its legs. I should more say Rhea-led actually. She is an awesome second. Damien Priest is a great big man. This is a fun story.

KO is for the people.

• Like 2

It's halftime of the Seattle/Denver game so I figure that should be a good time to begin fast forwarding to the in-ring action!  It's Matt Riddle versus Finn Balor!  This should be good.  Riddle is fun.  Balor is fun.  This is fun.  FUN!  Riddle begins selling an assbeating like he is WONT to do.  There is a lot of the beating of the ass of Riddle.  The crowd seems pretty dead and don't seem to get behind Riddle's STRUGGLE to escape the stomping from Finn Balor.  Nice Fisherman Buster Suplex by Riddle as he goes on offense.  Nice EXPLOIDER by Riddle.  Balor doesn't lean into a knee to the head.  Riddle hits a truly impressive EVEREST German Suplex.  The crowd is into it as Riddle does his Orton stuff!  SETH ROLLINS!  RIDDLE IS DISTRACTED!  Balor wins!  Rollins stomps on Riddle's skull.  That was good.  IYO SKY! Dakota Kai!  Raquel Rodriguez!  Aliyah!  Raquel is gnarly on offense.  She lays it in.  One can assume that Aliyah will assume the role of Ricky Morton soon in this tag match.  And it eventually kicks in after Aliyah gets some offense in.  They don't ever pull Raquel off the apron, so this match isn't awesome in a Southern tag sense, but this is good.  The finish is very elaborate and DMG CNTRL are the new champions!  That was good.  I have not seen Johnny Gargano wrestle since he wrestled in Pro Wrestling Ohio. Man, DirecTV was awesome. It's Chad Gable.  They go completely BattlARTS!  Then Gargano goes for a wad of Lucha Libre roll ups.  Gargano gets Dragonscrewed and begins selling the knee and Gable attacks the knee.  Gargano lays in some sweet looking elbows to come back.  Soooo Johnny Gargano rules.  Chad Gable rules too- as he hoists Gargano up and slams him on his face.  SWEET EVEREST German Suplex by Gable.  This match is fucking great.  Great DDT for the win, as Gable takes it like RVD without the preposterous RVD bounce.  Austin Theory attacks Gargano postmatch!  That was fucking great.  Bianca Belair and Sonya Deville battle for the strap!  Deville takes a giant ass beating.  Deville goes on offense and she is quite the kickingest heel.  She's a good heel- as she is a HEAT MACHINE, getting the crowd to get behind Belair's STRUGGLE to escape the hard-edged and kicky beating by Deville!  This is good.  Not the smoothest wrestling match, but this is good.  Belair wins with a very awkward finisher.  Postmatch, DMG CNTRL attacks and Asuka and Alexa Bliss make the save!  Omos has a handicapped match.  It's Edge against Dominik Mysterio.  Mysterio's first match as an EVIL BASTARD!   I haven't seen Edge wrestle in a very long time.  Oh yeah, Edge rules.  Awww, Dominik is my Cowboys.  Edge is the rest of the NFL.  Rhea Ripley CHEATS!  It allows Dom to start getting some offense in!  Rhea CHEATS again!  Dom gets in a Love Machine Splash!  FOR TWO!  Dom hits a PERFECT Psicosis Bump!  GREAT counter by Mysterio to Edge's Spear with a Half Crab!  Dom is tied up in the ropes and Edge is GIVING HIM THE BUSINESS!  Rey Mysterio comes out to beg for mercy!  Judgement Day comes in CRUSHES Edge's leg!  Well that was fun.  That was a lot of quality wrestling.

• Like 3

Edge didn't beat Rey's kid up enough. They made good work of Edge's knee after, though. The Three Amigos was really bad but the Frogsplash got mad height and hangtime. Plus Rhea was great out there so let's call it square. 

Bayley and Rhea tonight... woof.

The rest of the show also had some wrestling. 

• Like 2

The Judgement Day business was the focal point of the show, but that Johnny Gargano/Chad Gable match needs more attention. I lost interest in Gargano during his marathon matches with Cole, but he was really good here and the two of them really clicked. Despite all his shitty booking Gable has been one of the better guys on the roster for quite a while now. This match made me look up to see if American Alpha and DIY ever wrestled back when the NXT tag scene was really cooking but it looks like they never did?

Tonight was so so with a couple of good matches mixed into the show.

Balor/Riddle was good until the ending which was seen coming a mile away. I sure hope Riddle gets one back in all of this cause he's been losing left and right.

Gargano vs. Gable was possibly my MOTW...but we have a long week to go.  But it was a really good match. If Chad Gable were a few inches taller,  he would have been seen as the new Kurt Angle that Vince was always looking for. Hopefully under Triple H's new regime he gets to shine like this.

I was sad that Raquel and Aliyah lost the tag titles. I mean I know they had to, but I wish they didn't.

Bianca's open challenge seemed like a dud. There was no one on RAW they could give that shot to? Dana Brooke is right there.

Edge vs. Dom was all right. Dominik did seem out of his element but he held up his end. Only thing I thought was it's clear the kid doesn't have the gas to go 20 plus minutes...neither does Edge at this point. The schmoz at the end was expected, but at least Dom did some Eddie spots which was nice.

Riddle/Finn was unsurprisingly good. The Seth/Riddle stuff before and after the match was decent as well.

Raquel/Aliyah vs. Io/Dakota was solid with some neat moments.

Gable/Gargano was good with a nice showcase for both guys. Gable busted out some neat new moves, and the crowd was into Johnny more and more as the match went on. As nice as it was the post match segment with Theory and Owens stole it due that Owens promo. Theory having nothing to offer as a decent counter was terrible but also strangely worked with everythign Owens was saying.

Bianca/Sonya was kind of rough but generally solid overall. Was nice to see the two get a real match in. The post match segment with Damage Control was decent enough.

Loved Edge/Dom. Edge was fired up throughout and was perfect trying to beat Dom's ass. Dom bumped around so damn well on everythign and looked good on offense whenever it was limb based. Only really weakness this had for me was some of Dom character bits like the 3 Amigos segment though that impressive frog splash damn near made up for it. Dug Judgement Day crippling Edge post match. Evil Dom is off to solid start. Still hoping they put him in a mask at some point just to fuck with Rey more for not taking the family mask design. 

Edited by Eivion

I have to say after KO's promo I kind of want to see someone actually push Theory into challenging Roman straight up. Feels like a solid squash by Roman would be a good way to humble and reset Theory a bit as a part his character arc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madl said:

Is anyone really enjoying the Lumis angle?  It seems like it was dredged from the bottom of Vince’s sports entertainment barrel.

Feels like a weird, PG redux of Austin/Pillman to me. 

6 hours ago, madl said:

Is anyone really enjoying the Lumis angle?  It seems like it was dredged from the bottom of Vince’s sports entertainment barrel.

I like everyone's performance in it and the people involved, but the angle itself mostly  leaves me confused.

• Like 1

We're in a weird existential WWE moment where things are starting to feel like they're worth checking out again after a couple of years of being 100% checked out and I'm just not sure if I want to get over that emotional hump and dedicate any time. More likely, I just want to see where things fall over the next six months or so and maybe tune back in during the Rumble to see.

• Like 2

The WWE mens tags and womens are reportedly to change first

The new WWE Tags design would be the existing design, but dual plated with black strap and having a stacked large WWE logo in the center. Sounds like one set of tags going forward later on.

Women's belts getting colored backing soon. Whatever that means.

Edited by Blue Dragon

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

We're in a weird existential WWE moment where things are starting to feel like they're worth checking out again after a couple of years of being 100% checked out and I'm just not sure if I want to get over that emotional hump and dedicate any time. More likely, I just want to see where things fall over the next six months or so and maybe tune back in during the Rumble to see.

Its best to just cherry pick matches for now. Like if you haven't already you should definitely check out the matches from the Brawling Brutes/Imperium feud. Those have all been good so far. The shows are improving, but I think its still months away from being anything people who left would want to watch semi-regularly again. Raw in particular is just always too long for a show of this type. Even the good shows feel lesser as a result of that extra hour.

• Like 5