DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 9/9/2022

What I thought was funny/bizarre about it was it seemed to come out of nowhere and have no context, like he just spouted that off for no reason. It was like something in his brain broke and he could have yelled about anything in that moment. "MOM NO I DON'T WANT TO KILL THE PUPPIES!" Everyone just stares at him for a moment and goes back to what they were talking about...

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Only three matches! Messing with the formula to let Deeb and Rayne go back and forth and the bald on bald violence go 20+ glorious minutes! Noice! I think, and I want to be the first to say it, Darby showed great ring awareness in that match with Sammy. Will this be the first time that DEAN puts every match from a show into the poll? Might have happened before. Did Good Old seem particularly terrible to anyone else today? Maybe it was just the contrast from being able to enjoy a whole show without needing to tune him out. Maybe just the "If you are not in it for the money you are an idiot" stuff. Lot of really good professional wrestling this week. Good timing on that, AEW.

I personally didn't find JR too grating this week. And his line about money actually made sense (probably accidentally) considering Dax's comments about how pro wrestling being how he supports his family so he's not going back to obscurity. If this is how he puts food on the table wouldn't he want to get the champions share of the purse?

And Regal was great as usual. He's a great actor if you didn't notice his reactions to Dax's promo go back and watch it again. Its like he wanted to get Dax riled up for a real fight and he got it. One of the most important tools to an actor is how you act when the focus is on someone else. He's great.

Other thoughts..

According to the Dish guide Rampage is where "Some wrestlers climb to Olympus and others get left behind" lets see who gets left behind.

Really fun opener. Darby is moving past Sammy as far being a star and an all around pro wrestler. Sammy reminds me a bit of a one note player, like a band that just relies on having one or two radio hits back in the day and sticks to that formula. Sticks his tongue out or into Tay, sure he can do some impressive stuff athletically but eventually he's gonna have to get a hang of the character stuff if he's gonna be an upper card player long term.

Women's match was kinda just their. Really enjoy The Professor. Madison is kind of an interesting choice for a "coach" I don't remember any of the Beautiful People being great in ring but a really fun act. Maybe that's her role. In an era where everyone is focused on "work" she can help them develop characters. 

Really liked all three promo's another area where AEW sometime lacks. Got everyone's motivation for where they are going forward.

All of the Fuck faces where edited out of the opener and MJF is back in. Only a brief shot of Kenny in one of the Dynamite promos.

And if it means we get the type of wrestling in the main event then the Elite can stay fucked off

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Dax Harwood is probably one of the top 5-8 singles wrestlers in AEW right now as well as being one of the best tag team wrestlers in the world. He and Claudio match up well as heavy hitters with lots of strength but also athletic ability. Dax’s piledriver looked brutal, working the neck was a good angle that didn’t really go anywhere since sharpshooter is a lower back submission. Surprising end to the match, but I always enjoy when matches don’t end with the finisher.

Claudio wrestled slightly heel here, which I think is where BCC is going. Not full heels, but tough guys who just want to beat the hell out of you and lay in some nasty tricks as part of that without actually cheating.

Edited to add that I also like Jericho on commentary, he has a future there once his body is done.

To bad Dax always seems to lose his singles outings. I'd love him to go on a bit of a run that climaxes' with him winning one of the secondary titles. A month or two of him having youtube title defenses of the AA belt would be great.

BCC has always been a bit tweener in alignment. Mox has been a face, BD has never technically turned back face. Yuta kinda went heel on BFs

I also liked Jericho kinda but not really wanting a piece of Claudio 

• Like 3

What’s an excellent hour of wrestling.

I’m surprised Sammy won, I kinda hoped they’d put the title on Darby in an upset tournament win. Match was great as always between these two, you can see how they are maturing with each match they have against each other. They’ve slowed the pace a bit and every crazy thing they do feels crisp instead of just reckless. Good stuff, I’m all for these two being career rivals for years to come.

Im now really hoping for a Sammy-Danielson final in the tournament to get something completely new. Old man Danielson killing vlogger Sammy would be a sight to see.

Main event was just an awesome manly match. The result was never in doubt but it was excellent 20min of pro wrestling. Claudio’s short arm clotheslines look like he’s just pulling his opponent against a freaking wall. The finishing sequence with the Sharpshooter reversals and Claudio going for the BCC death elbows as a last option was pretty awesome.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JLowe said:

I always thought it was funny when he would randomly throw in “hey I’ll throw a fireball at you because I’m a wizard”. BeeSeeBeeWee isn’t as clever as he thinks.

No, it isn’t.  But you KNOW Jericho is going to Big Brother Noogie the entire fanbase until it gets over by submission.

• Like 1

• Things I liked about the Sammy vs Darby match (how they started by giving it a bit of a title match feeling out process, for instance) and things I didn't (stupid superplex stuff). My big takeaway is that the Sammy/Tay act is still fresh, very much because he hasn't had too many singles matches and we haven't had a ton of time with her as a heatseeking, very bold and in your face valet yet. Because of suspensions and honeymoons and taking time off to sell cage falls and mixed matches, her as the world's most dangerous Sunny/Missy on the outside is sort of new. Maybe it'll get old, but for now it really works. The ring bit was great too. Bring on Mox vs Sammy. I love the contrast there. Mox is going to beat the snot out of him.
  • Glad it's Joe vs Woods. Joe vs Nese would have been unquestionably good but this will be a hossfight.
  • I'm still not 100% sure why Rayne got hired in her role. Maybe she's really good at coaching people on how to do promos/TV matches? She's lost a lot since she arrived, even on Dark in tags you wouldn't think she'd take the fall on. Best part of this one was some of Deeb's reactions when she got one up on her though.
  • Main was tremendous. I love how it really leaned hard into hierarchy. Dax took a massive beating over the first ten minutes and it's a different sort of beating than you'd get from someone like Mox or Danielson. Claudio just brings so much power to bear, but like Coleman said, it's all functional muscle and it's functional power. It's different than how someone like Hobbs or Lee would toss you around too. It feels like potential energy turned into kinetic in the most efficient, gripping way possible. Dax worked from underneath with big heart and skill and gumption, pulling reversals out by the skin of his teeth, chipping away at the neck, maximizing his opportunities, but getting an opportunity against Claudio felt here like the hardest thing in pro wrestling today. Just really good stuff. Just a great year for Dax.
Edited by Matt D
Neck not next
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

SATURDAY REFLECTIONS:  My son is sitting on the couch playing me music from his generation so I'm just watching not listening to INTERNATIONAL FEED RAMPAGE.  It all sounds like PERE UBU!  STUPID CLOUDS!   Tay as a deadly Sunny I can see @Matt D.  I love her concern when Darby suplexes him on the floor and how they actually set Allin up to halt long enough for Sammy to counter his tope.  THAT'S GOOD STUFF!  She's more like Crane Yu and Anna JAS is Bull Nakano and Sammy is Dump Matsumoto.  Actually Jericho is Dump Matsumoto, Sammy is Mini Dump Matsumoto.  If Mini Dump Matsumoto couldn't keep her hands off Crane Yu.  I await Chris Jericho hitting Excalibur and Taz with a chain as he comes to the ring. Daniel Garcia is Chigusa Nagayo and I await the final blood match against Dump Jericho.  THAT WILL BE AWESOME.  The Rayne/Deeb match would have gotten over if the crowd wasn't fried to a crisp.  I'm excited to see the live Rampages where they aren't battling crowds who just watched Garcia/Yuta and Danielson/Hangman.  Its weird.  It was too good and big to be on Dark or Elevation, but not big enough for TV.  I dunno.  Emi/Shida was on Elevation and that felt way bigger than this.  I think it was @Matt D who noticed; Regal is fucking great as Dax gets fired up on the stick.  Regal always had the best facial expressions and his look of delight is fucking awesome.  I didn't notice what a total assbeating that match was.  Claudio is so dominant and Dax is awesome on his comebacks. The psychology is basically the same as the GUNTHER/Sheamus match-  Dax brings the violence and brings it even harder, but Claudio's response is just unbelievable amounts of violence.  It's strange that Claudio is AEW's GUNTHER, but here we are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, JLowe said:

Dax Harwood is probably one of the top 5-8 singles wrestlers in AEW right now as well as being one of the best tag team wrestlers in the world.

Be interesting to see people's 5-8 right now with how deep the AEW roster is. The names which show up the most and how varied our picks are.

Mine:

1. Bryan Danielson.

2. Claudio Castagnoli.

3. Jon Moxley.

4. Dax Harwood.

5. CM Punk.

6. Eddie Kingston.

7. Darby Allin.

8. Chris Jericho.

Honourable mention to Wheeler Yuta and Daniel Garcia.

I'll take @DEAN's example and round up my list to ten:

1. Bryan Danielson.

2. Claudio Castagnoli.

3. Jon Moxley.

4. Dax Harwood.

5. CM Punk.

6. Eddie Kingston.

7. Darby Allin.

8. Chris Jericho.

9. Daniel Garcia.

10. Wheeler Yuta.

Left Kenny Omega as he hasn't had a singles match this year and just three trios matches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, porksweats said:

The Ten Top Pork Picks

1. Claudio

2. Hayter

3. Pac

4. Starks

5. Garcia

6. Shida

7. Trent

8. Orange Cassidy

9. Moxley

10. Yuta

(Would be on list if not injured/permanent members: Statlander/Konosuke)

Oh shit!  Moxley is in my top ten.  Stick him in there somewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, porksweats said:

The Ten Top Pork Picks

1. Claudio

2. Hayter

3. Pac

4. Starks

5. Garcia

6. Shida

7. Trent

8. Orange Cassidy

9. Moxley

10. Yuta

(Would be on list if not injured/permanent members: Statlander/Konosuke)

PAC narrowly missed my top ten.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

Oh man, somebody wake up @Gordlow.  I imagine his top ten is a HOOT.

It's 3:30 am. I woke up. Should I blame you? ?

More or less off the top of my head, based on how much I mark out when I see they have a singles match:

1 - Kingston

Bryan

Garcia

Darby

5 - Dustin

Wheeler Yuta

Hayter

Takeshita

Dax

10 - Fenix

Orange

Mox

Claudio

JD Drake

15 - Deeb

Storm

Trent

Hobbs

Dante

20 - Hook

Dang. Emi, Shida, Yuka Sakazaki, Fuego, Roosh, Bear Boulder, Nicky Boy, Silver, Archer, Angelico... A lot of straight-up favourites didn't even make my top 20?!?! That's insane. Mox and Claudio outside the top 10 seems wrong, but I don't see who I could honestly move down. 

Lot of good singles wrestlers I kind of prefer in tags or 6-person matches. For example, Emi. A couple of tag guys (notably Fenix) I prefer in singles matches. Interesting to think about.

Fuck CM Punk.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zendragon said:

To bad Dax always seems to lose his singles outings.

What "seems"? Dax has lost every singles match he's had in AEW except the one against Cash. In kayfabe, FTR seem to be crap singles wrestlers. Not sure if they're being booked that way deliberately.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

It's 3:30 am. I woke up. Should I blame you? ?

More or less off the top of my head, based on how much I mark out when I see they have a singles match:

1 - Kingston

Bryan

Garcia

Darby

5 - Dustin

Wheeler Yuta

Hayter

Takeshita

Dax

10 - Fenix

Orange

Mox

Claudio

JD Drake

15 - Deeb

Storm

Trent

Hobbs

Dante

20 - Hook

Dang. Emi, Shida, Yuka Sakazaki, Fuego, Roosh, Bear Boulder, Nicky Boy, Silver, Archer, Angelico... A lot of straight-up favourites didn't even make my top 20?!?! That's insane. Mox and Claudio outside the top 10 seems wrong, but I don't see who I could honestly move down. 

Lot of good singles wrestlers I kind of prefer in tags or 6-person matches. For example, Emi. A couple of tag guys (notably Fenix) I prefer in singles matches. Interesting to think about.

Fuck CM Punk.

FUCK! I forgot RUSH! He is my new number 1.  And NICKY BOY!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

What "seems"? Dax has lost every singles match he's had in AEW except the one against Cash. In kayfabe, FTR seem to be crap singles wrestlers. Not sure if they're being booked that way deliberately.

an unfortunate tradition of wrestling booking that tag team guys always lose singles matches except against other tag team guys.

i wouldn't mind it so much if only the converse were given equal respect and tag teams never   lost a handicap match, but alas...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

an unfortunate tradition of wrestling booking that tag team guys always lose singles matches except against other tag team guys.

i wouldn't mind it so much if only the converse were given equal respect and tag teams never   lost a handicap match, but alas...

Also, regular teams should rarely lose to two singles wrestlers who aren’t a team.

• Like 4

JT's AEW Top 10

Trent Baretta 

Bryan Danielson

Daniel Garcia

Jon Moxley

Claudio Castagnoli

Serena Deeb

Anthony Bowens

Dax Harwood

Kenny Omega

Jamie Hayter

Wheeler Yuta

Shane Strickland

Now that Josh Woods has a mouthpiece in Mark Sterling, I would totally job Samoa Joe out to him for the RoH TV title after chicanery from Neese, but that probably won't happen.  If AEW wants to keep my interest, they need to pull more feelgood booking out of their asses like they did with Yuta and Garcia last Wednesday.  Having Joe drop the belt to Woods and giving a guy on the rise some time to shine would be good.

Khan needs to get off of his ass and cobble a regular roster for RoH and give it its own block, even if it is on YouTube.

Not sure how I feel about Darby getting bounced from the running since I would've liked for Darby to get one of his wins back from Moxley at some point and what better time than a championship tournament?   Mox is probably going to destroy Sammy and further the BCC vs JAS angle.  The booking almost writes itself.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3